emergency help how to add a domain

John Fabiani-2
I have a client that had a complete hardware failure.  They were running
postfix and now need to get mail working again.  I was thinking I could use
my postfix server to deliver mail.  This would save them the expense of going
out and buying new hardware (their hardware is under warranty) and would
provide a simple backup for the future.  My postfix server currently only
supports my domain (mydomain.com).  For my server to support two domains I
think all I have to do is change "myhostname" to include the client domain

myhostname = mail.mydoman.com , mail.clientdomain.com

Is that correct????
John Fabiani

Re: emergency help how to add a domain

mouss-2
johnf wrote:

> I have a client that had a complete hardware failure.  They were running
> postfix and now need to get mail working again.  I was thinking I could use
> my postfix server to deliver mail.  This would save them the expense of going
> out and buying new hardware (their hardware is under warranty) and would
> provide a simple backup for the future.  My postfix server currently only
> supports my domain (mydomain.com).  For my server to support two domains I
> think all I have to do is change "myhostname" to include the client domain
>
> myhostname = mail.mydoman.com , mail.clientdomain.com
>
> Is that correct????

the problem with this is that foo@domain1 and foo@domain2 are the same
mailbox. if there is no "collision" (no common local part), this is ok.
otherwise, you'll need to distinguish their users from yours. the
simplest way is to "tag" their local part. use virtual_alias_maps:
[hidden email] [hidden email]

then create the foo_them users.

an alternative is to use virtual_mailbox_domains. but if you never used
this, it isn't worth the pain.

Re: emergency help how to add a domain

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 07:56:44PM +0200, mouss wrote:

> johnf wrote:
> >I have a client that had a complete hardware failure.  They were running
> >postfix and now need to get mail working again.  I was thinking I could
> >use my postfix server to deliver mail.  This would save them the expense
> >of going out and buying new hardware (their hardware is under warranty)
> >and would provide a simple backup for the future.  My postfix server
> >currently only supports my domain (mydomain.com).  For my server to
> >support two domains I think all I have to do is change "myhostname" to
> >include the client domain
> >
> >myhostname = mail.mydoman.com , mail.clientdomain.com
> >
> >Is that correct????
>
> the problem with this is that foo@domain1 and foo@domain2 are the same
> mailbox. if there is no "collision" (no common local part), this is ok.
> otherwise, you'll need to distinguish their users from yours. the
> simplest way is to "tag" their local part. use virtual_alias_maps:
> [hidden email] [hidden email]

You are automatically error correcting the post somewhere between the
optic nerve and higher congnitive functions. The OP said:

        myhostname = .... list of names ...

this is very wrong. You read:

        mydestination = ... list of domains ...

this works in the way you described.

On Thursday 24 July 2008 10:56:44 am mouss wrote:

> johnf wrote:
> > I have a client that had a complete hardware failure.  They were running
> > postfix and now need to get mail working again.  I was thinking I could
> > use my postfix server to deliver mail.  This would save them the expense
> > of going out and buying new hardware (their hardware is under warranty)
> > and would provide a simple backup for the future.  My postfix server
> > currently only supports my domain (mydomain.com).  For my server to
> > support two domains I think all I have to do is change "myhostname" to
> > include the client domain
> >
> > myhostname = mail.mydoman.com , mail.clientdomain.com
> >
> > Is that correct????
>
> the problem with this is that foo@domain1 and foo@domain2 are the same
> mailbox. if there is no "collision" (no common local part), this is ok.
> otherwise, you'll need to distinguish their users from yours. the
> simplest way is to "tag" their local part. use virtual_alias_maps:
> [hidden email] [hidden email]
>
> then create the foo_them users.
>

> an alternative is to use virtual_mailbox_domains. but if you never used
> this, it isn't worth the pain.

I don't think that's a problem because I have always used my postfix server as
a testbed.  It's a real server but I don't use it.  Thanks for the help.

John Fabiani

On Thursday 24 July 2008 11:13:52 am johnf wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 10:56:44 am mouss wrote:
> > johnf wrote:
> > > I have a client that had a complete hardware failure.  They were
> > > running postfix and now need to get mail working again.  I was thinking
> > > I could use my postfix server to deliver mail.  This would save them
> > > the expense of going out and buying new hardware (their hardware is
> > > under warranty) and would provide a simple backup for the future.  My
> > > postfix server currently only supports my domain (mydomain.com).  For
> > > my server to support two domains I think all I have to do is change
> > > "myhostname" to include the client domain
> > >
> > > myhostname = mail.mydoman.com , mail.clientdomain.com
> > >
> > > Is that correct????
> >
> > the problem with this is that foo@domain1 and foo@domain2 are the same
> > mailbox. if there is no "collision" (no common local part), this is ok.
> > otherwise, you'll need to distinguish their users from yours. the
> > simplest way is to "tag" their local part. use virtual_alias_maps:
> > [hidden email] [hidden email]
> >
> > then create the foo_them users.
> >

> > an alternative is to use virtual_mailbox_domains. but if you never used
> > this, it isn't worth the pain.
>
> I don't think that's a problem because I have always used my postfix server
> as a testbed.  It's a real server but I don't use it.  Thanks for the help.

I just discovered a problem - I need to be able to send mail for the domain.
How do I set that up??????

John Fabiani

On Thursday 24 July 2008 11:09:17 am Victor Duchovni wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 07:56:44PM +0200, mouss wrote:
> > johnf wrote:
> > >I have a client that had a complete hardware failure.  They were running
> > >postfix and now need to get mail working again.  I was thinking I could
> > >use my postfix server to deliver mail.  This would save them the expense
> > >of going out and buying new hardware (their hardware is under warranty)
> > >and would provide a simple backup for the future.  My postfix server
> > >currently only supports my domain (mydomain.com).  For my server to
> > >support two domains I think all I have to do is change "myhostname" to
> > >include the client domain
> > >
> > >myhostname = mail.mydoman.com , mail.clientdomain.com
> > >
> > >Is that correct????
> >
> > the problem with this is that foo@domain1 and foo@domain2 are the same
> > mailbox. if there is no "collision" (no common local part), this is ok.
> > otherwise, you'll need to distinguish their users from yours. the
> > simplest way is to "tag" their local part. use virtual_alias_maps:
> > [hidden email] [hidden email]
>
> You are automatically error correcting the post somewhere between the
> optic nerve and higher congnitive functions. The OP said:
>
> myhostname = .... list of names ...
>
> this is very wrong. You read:
>
> mydestination = ... list of domains ...
>
> this works in the way you described.

Thanks I corrected the parameter name

John Fabiani

Re: emergency help how to add a domain

johnf wrote:
[snip]
> I just discovered a problem - I need to be able to send mail for the domain.
> How do I set that up??????

what do you mean? you can send mail on behalf of any domain.

if they have SPF records, they need to update them to authorize your
server so that the mail you send is not blocked or tagged as spam.

if you mean you want to allow them to send via your server, that's a
relay question. if they have static IPs and you trust them, you can add
their networks to mynetworks. otherwise, you need to setup
authentication (see the SASL README).

On Thursday 24 July 2008 12:16:19 pm mouss wrote:

> johnf wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I just discovered a problem - I need to be able to send mail for the
> > domain. How do I set that up??????
>
> what do you mean? you can send mail on behalf of any domain.
>
> if they have SPF records, they need to update them to authorize your
> server so that the mail you send is not blocked or tagged as spam.
>
> if you mean you want to allow them to send via your server, that's a
> relay question. if they have static IPs and you trust them, you can add
> their networks to mynetworks. otherwise, you need to setup
> authentication (see the SASL README).

As I understand this I add a file sasl.passwd, run the db , then all should
work?

John Fabiani

On Thursday 24 July 2008 12:27:03 pm johnf wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 12:16:19 pm mouss wrote:
> > johnf wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I just discovered a problem - I need to be able to send mail for the
> > > domain. How do I set that up??????
> >
> > what do you mean? you can send mail on behalf of any domain.
> >
> > if they have SPF records, they need to update them to authorize your
> > server so that the mail you send is not blocked or tagged as spam.
> >
> > if you mean you want to allow them to send via your server, that's a
> > relay question. if they have static IPs and you trust them, you can add
> > their networks to mynetworks. otherwise, you need to setup
> > authentication (see the SASL README).
>
> As I understand this I add a file sasl.passwd, run the db , then all should
> work?

I have created the sasl.passwd file, ran postmap and I still get can't relay.

John Fabiani

johnf wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 12:27:03 pm johnf wrote:
>> On Thursday 24 July 2008 12:16:19 pm mouss wrote:
>>> johnf wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> what do you mean? you can send mail on behalf of any domain.
>>>
>>> if they have SPF records, they need to update them to authorize your
>>> server so that the mail you send is not blocked or tagged as spam.
>>>
>>> if you mean you want to allow them to send via your server, that's a
>>> relay question. if they have static IPs and you trust them, you can add
>>> their networks to mynetworks. otherwise, you need to setup
>>> authentication (see the SASL README).
>> As I understand this I add a file sasl.passwd, run the db , then all should
>> work?
>
> I have created the sasl.passwd file, ran postmap and I still get can't relay.

you will need to (really) read:
        http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
and in particular
        http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_sasl

if you have problems, please follow the directions documented in
In particular:
- explain clearly what problem you are trying to solve
- show output of 'postconf -n'
- show relevant log lines (full lines, do not truncate)
feel free to replace private infos but do so coherently.

you really need to read the cited documents. we can't read them for you.

On Thursday 24 July 2008 01:35:31 pm mouss wrote:

> johnf wrote:

> >> As I understand this I add a file sasl.passwd, run the db , then all
> >> should work?
> >
> > I have created the sasl.passwd file, ran postmap and I still get can't
> > relay.
>
> you will need to (really) read:
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
> and in particular
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_sasl
>
> if you have problems, please follow the directions documented in
> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
> In particular:
> - explain clearly what problem you are trying to solve
> - show output of 'postconf -n'
> - show relevant log lines (full lines, do not truncate)
> feel free to replace private infos but do so coherently.
>
> you really need to read the cited documents. we can't read them for you.

Well there is no accounting for dumb because I have read it but it's beyond
me.  I can recieve pop3 mail from outlook but can't send...

output from postconf -n
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
biff = no
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
defer_transports =
disable_dns_lookups = no
disable_mime_output_conversion = no
home_mailbox = Maildir/
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/html
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = all
mail_owner = postfix
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
mailbox_command =
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mailbox_transport =
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
masquerade_domains =
masquerade_exceptions = root
message_size_limit = 10240000
mydestination = $mydomain , localhost.#mydomain, c2winc.com
mydomain = jfcomputer.com
myhostname = mail.jfcomputer.com
mynetworks_style = subnet
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/README_FILES
relayhost =
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/samples
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_client_restrictions =
smtpd_helo_required = no
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,check_relay_domains
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_use_tls = yes
strict_8bitmime = no
strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

output from saslfinger -c
saslfinger - postfix Cyrus sasl configuration Thu Jul 24 14:19:12 PDT 2008
version: 1.0.2
mode: client-side SMTP AUTH

-- basics --
Postfix: 2.3.2
System:
Welcome to openSUSE 10.2 (i586) - Kernel \r (\l).

-- smtp is linked to --
        libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0xb7de6000)

-- active SMTP AUTH and TLS parameters for smtp --
relayhost =
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtp_use_tls = yes

-- listing of /usr/lib/sasl2 --
total 699
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   920 2008-07-24 08:57 .
drwxr-xr-x 140 root root 71976 2008-07-24 08:57 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14136 2006-11-25 08:53 libanonymous.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14136 2006-11-25 08:53 libanonymous.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14136 2006-11-25 08:53 libanonymous.so.2.0.22
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 18260 2006-11-25 08:53 libcrammd5.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 18260 2006-11-25 08:53 libcrammd5.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 18260 2006-11-25 08:53 libcrammd5.so.2.0.22
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 43180 2006-11-25 08:53 libdigestmd5.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 43180 2006-11-25 08:53 libdigestmd5.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 43180 2006-11-25 08:53 libdigestmd5.so.2.0.22
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 26568 2006-11-25 08:53 libgssapiv2.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 26568 2006-11-25 08:53 libgssapiv2.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 26568 2006-11-25 08:53 libgssapiv2.so.2.0.22
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14164 2006-11-25 08:53 liblogin.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14164 2006-11-25 08:53 liblogin.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14164 2006-11-25 08:53 liblogin.so.2.0.22
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 44284 2006-11-25 08:53 libotp.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 44284 2006-11-25 08:53 libotp.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 44284 2006-11-25 08:53 libotp.so.2.0.22
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14164 2006-11-25 08:53 libplain.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14164 2006-11-25 08:53 libplain.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 14164 2006-11-25 08:53 libplain.so.2.0.22
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 22348 2006-11-25 08:53 libsasldb.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 22348 2006-11-25 08:53 libsasldb.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 22348 2006-11-25 08:53 libsasldb.so.2.0.22
-rw-r--r--   1 root root    63 2008-03-05 22:19 smtpd.conf

-- listing of /etc/sasl2 --
total 13
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   80 2006-11-25 08:53 .
drwxr-xr-x 95 root root 8720 2008-07-24 08:57 ..
-rw-------  1 root root   49 2006-11-25 09:27 smtpd.conf

-- permissions for /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd --
-rw------- 1 root root 449 2008-07-24 12:51 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

-- permissions for /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db --
-rw------- 1 root root 12288 2008-07-24 12:52 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db

/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db is up to date.

-- active services in /etc/postfix/master.cf --
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (100)
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       10       smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
pickup    fifo  n       -       n       60      1       pickup
cleanup   unix  n       -       n       -       0       cleanup
qmgr      fifo  n       -       n       300     1       qmgr
tlsmgr    unix  -       -       n       1000?   1       tlsmgr
rewrite   unix  -       -       n       -       -       trivial-rewrite
bounce    unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
defer     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
trace     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
verify    unix  -       -       n       -       1       verify
flush     unix  n       -       n       1000?   0       flush
proxymap  unix  -       -       n       -       -       proxymap
smtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
relay     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
        -o fallback_relay=
showq     unix  n       -       n       -       -       showq
error     unix  -       -       n       -       -       error
discard   unix  -       -       n       -       -       discard
local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
virtual   unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp
anvil     unix  -       -       n       -       1       anvil
localhost:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd -o content_filter= -o
receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
scache  unix - - n - 1 scache
maildrop  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/local/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
cyrus  unix - n n - - pipe
  user=cyrus argv=/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -r ${sender} -m ${extension}
${user}
uucp  unix - n n - - pipe
  flags=Fqhu user=uucp argv=uux -r -n -z -a$sender - $nexthop!rmail
($recipient)
ifmail    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=F user=ftn argv=/usr/lib/ifmail/ifmail -r $nexthop ($recipient)
bsmtp     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Fq. user=foo argv=/usr/local/sbin/bsmtp -f $sender $nexthop $recipient
procmail  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=R user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/procmail -t -m /etc/procmailrc ${sender}
${recipient}

-- mechanisms on c2winc.com --
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN

John Fabiani

Re: emergency help how to add a domain

John Fabiani-2
On Thursday 24 July 2008 02:25:04 pm johnf wrote:

Ok I can't send but I can recieve.  I am suppose to setup a relay_host.  And
that relay_host needs to be my normal smtp server in my case
mail.wavecable.com????

John Fabiani

johnf wrote:

> [snip]
>>
>> if you have problems, please follow the directions documented in
>> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
>> In particular:
>> - explain clearly what problem you are trying to solve
>> - show output of 'postconf -n'
>> - show relevant log lines (full lines, do not truncate)
>> feel free to replace private infos but do so coherently.
>>
>> you really need to read the cited documents. we can't read them for you.
>
> Well there is no accounting for dumb because I have read it but it's beyond
> me.

Is it beyond you to
- explain clearly what problem you are trying to solve
- show relevant log lines

?

On Thursday 24 July 2008 10:27:42 pm mouss wrote:

> johnf wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >> if you have problems, please follow the directions documented in
> >> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
> >> In particular:
> >> - explain clearly what problem you are trying to solve
> >> - show output of 'postconf -n'
> >> - show relevant log lines (full lines, do not truncate)
> >> feel free to replace private infos but do so coherently.
> >>
> >> you really need to read the cited documents. we can't read them for you.
> >
> > Well there is no accounting for dumb because I have read it but it's
> > beyond me.
>
> Is it beyond you to
> - explain clearly what problem you are trying to solve
> - show relevant log lines
>
> ?

Thanks.  It turns out that the linux OS did not know about my sasl2 libs.  The
good Jay Chandler helped and was able to discover the issue.  Again thanks.
BTW I think I did explain the problem.  The users were unable to send.

--
John Fabiani