empty message-ID

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: empty message-ID

Peter Ajamian
On 25/11/20 1:53 am, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> However, this thread is off-topic. We should close it with conclusion:
>
> don't avoid duplicate mail based on Message-Id:

A better conclusion would be to not consider messages with a missing or
empty Message-Id to be duplicates of each other.  If the Message-Id is
present and the same then it's reasonable to assume that it's a duplicate.


peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: empty message-ID

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
In reply to this post by @lbutlr
>On 25/11/20 1:53 am, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>However, this thread is off-topic. We should close it with conclusion:
>>
>>don't avoid duplicate mail based on Message-Id:

On 25.11.20 15:04, Peter wrote:
>A better conclusion would be to not consider messages with a missing
>or empty Message-Id to be duplicates of each other.  If the Message-Id
>is present and the same then it's reasonable to assume that it's a
>duplicate.

different paths, different headers, different MUA response to them.
You avoid "duplicates" and miss important info.

Funny how half of this thread is discussing it.
You can do it yourself but don't complain then...

>On 24 Nov 2020, at 05:50, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> note that it's possible to Bcc: message to mailing list so it does not
>> contain list address in To:/Cc:

On 24.11.20 12:01, @lbutlr wrote:
>Depends on the mailing list, many (most? Some?) mailing lists reject messages if the list address is not in the To or CC.

If this mailing list followed it, you wouldn't be able to reply my mail
- I only sent it to the list, while only your address was in the To:

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: empty message-ID

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Peter Ajamian
Peter:

> On 24/11/20 3:56 am, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Jaroslaw Rafa:
> >> Dnia 23.11.2020 o godz. 10:18:39 D'Arcy Cain pisze:
> >>>
> >>> I used to have a client who was not getting emails from one of his
> >>> friends.  Turned out that the friend's client/MUA was not adding the
> >>> message ID.
> >>
> >> Doesn't Postfix automatically add Message-Id: header upon sending a message
> >> if none is present?
> >
> > For the last 17 years, Message-ID is added to "local" email only.
> >
> > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers
>
> Might want to clarify that in cleanup(8):
>
>         The cleanup(8) daemon always performs the following transformations:
>
>         ?      Insert missing message headers: (Resent-) From:, To:,
> Message-Id:, and Date:.
>
> ...the explicit use of the word "always" there is misleading.

Thanks for the pointer. I am updating ths manpage.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: empty message-ID

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema:

> Peter:
> > Might want to clarify that in cleanup(8):
> >
> >         The cleanup(8) daemon always performs the following transformations:
> >
> >         ?      Insert missing message headers: (Resent-) From:, To:,
> > Message-Id:, and Date:.
> >
> > ...the explicit use of the word "always" there is misleading.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I am updating ths manpage.

Updated text: http://www.porcupine.org/postfix-mirror/cleanup.8.html
I'll fix some font inconsistencies later.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: empty message-ID

Peter Ajamian
On 26/11/20 5:03 am, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Wietse Venema:
>> Peter:
>>> Might want to clarify that in cleanup(8):
>>>
>>>          The cleanup(8) daemon always performs the following transformations:
>>>
>>>          ?      Insert missing message headers: (Resent-) From:, To:,
>>> Message-Id:, and Date:.
>>>
>>> ...the explicit use of the word "always" there is misleading.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer. I am updating ths manpage.
>
> Updated text: http://www.porcupine.org/postfix-mirror/cleanup.8.html
> I'll fix some font inconsistencies later.

Much better, thanks.


Peter
123