empty pid files

Dominic Raferd
I used to run postfix chrooted but no longer do so.

|find /var/spool/postfix -type f -ls|

shows a list of files in /var/spool/postfix/pid/ with names inet.* and
unix.*, all very old and zero-length. Is this a hangover from running
postfix chrooted? Can I remove them all?

It also shows a few files in /var/spool/postfix/defer, some a few days
old others much older. |postqueue -p| reports 'Mail queue is empty'.
Question ditto.

Re: empty pid files

Dominic Raferd

I should have said there is also a non-zero and newish file
|/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid| which I presume should stay.

Re: empty pid files

Dominic Raferd:
> I used to run postfix chrooted but no longer do so.
>
> |find /var/spool/postfix -type f -ls|
>
> shows a list of files in /var/spool/postfix/pid/ with names inet.* and
> unix.*, all very old and zero-length. Is this a hangover from running
> postfix chrooted? Can I remove them all?

You can delete these files safely only after Postfix is stopped.

> It also shows a few files in /var/spool/postfix/defer, some a few days
> old others much older. |postqueue -p| reports 'Mail queue is empty'.
> Question ditto.

Answer ditto.

Re: empty pid files

Dominic Raferd
On 22/02/2021 14:07, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Dominic Raferd:
>> I used to run postfix chrooted but no longer do so.
>>
>> |find /var/spool/postfix -type f -ls|
>>
>> shows a list of files in /var/spool/postfix/pid/ with names inet.* and
>> unix.*, all very old and zero-length. Is this a hangover from running
>> postfix chrooted? Can I remove them all?
> You can delete these files safely only after Postfix is stopped.
>
>> It also shows a few files in /var/spool/postfix/defer, some a few days
>> old others much older. |postqueue -p| reports 'Mail queue is empty'.
>> Question ditto.
> Answer ditto.
>
> Wietse
Thanks Wietse. Most of (or perhaps all) the pid files were recreated
anyway when, or shortly after, postfix restarted.