enable VERP without changing the application's SMTP client

enable VERP without changing the application's SMTP client

Yu (Irvin) Fan
Hi,

I'm new to this list. Please forgive me if this question has been asked.

I have different applications running on multiple boxes. All applications are sending email (using SMTP) to the same outgoing mail server. To use VERP I have to change all applications to append the option "XVERP" to the "MAIL FROM:<..>" command. Is there an easier way to do that? I mean can I do any of the following?

1. Tell postfix to always VERP it no matter the client indicates or not?
2. Send the email to the local box first and ask the local postfix to relay it to the outgoing server. At the same time tell the local postfix to always send the XVERP option when it relays the mail?
3. Assume all applications send email to port 587 in the outgoing server. Tell the postfix to route it back to itself (with XVERP option) at port 25?

#2 and #3 are basically the same idea, which is: is it possible to tell postfix to always send the XVERP option when it sends email out with SMTP?

Thanks in advance

-Irvin

Re: enable VERP without changing the application's SMTP client

Wietse Venema
Yu (Irvin) Fan:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list. Please forgive me if this question has been asked.

Actually, everything is supposed to be documented, so all you need
is read the VERP_README file. http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html.

        Wietse

> I have different applications running on multiple boxes. All applications
> are sending email (using SMTP) to the same outgoing mail server. To use VERP
> I have to change all applications to append the option "XVERP" to the "MAIL
> FROM:<..>" command. Is there an easier way to do that? I mean can I do any
> of the following?
>
> 1. Tell postfix to always VERP it no matter the client indicates or not?
> 2. Send the email to the local box first and ask the local postfix to relay
> it to the outgoing server. At the same time tell the local postfix to always
> send the XVERP option when it relays the mail?
> 3. Assume all applications send email to port 587 in the outgoing server.
> Tell the postfix to route it back to itself (with XVERP option) at port 25?
>

> #2 and #3 are basically the same idea, which is: is it possible to tell
> postfix to always send the XVERP option when it sends email out with SMTP?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Irvin

Re: enable VERP without changing the application's SMTP client

Yu (Irvin) Fan
Hi Wietse,

Thanks for replying to my question. I did read that. But I didn't find anything that is close to what I described. So I assume it's not possible.

-Irvin

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yu (Irvin) Fan:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list. Please forgive me if this question has been asked.

Actually, everything is supposed to be documented, so all you need
is read the VERP_README file. http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html.

       Wietse

> I have different applications running on multiple boxes. All applications
> are sending email (using SMTP) to the same outgoing mail server. To use VERP
> I have to change all applications to append the option "XVERP" to the "MAIL
> FROM:<..>" command. Is there an easier way to do that? I mean can I do any
> of the following?
>
> 1. Tell postfix to always VERP it no matter the client indicates or not?
> 2. Send the email to the local box first and ask the local postfix to relay
> it to the outgoing server. At the same time tell the local postfix to always
> send the XVERP option when it relays the mail?
> 3. Assume all applications send email to port 587 in the outgoing server.
> Tell the postfix to route it back to itself (with XVERP option) at port 25?
>

> #2 and #3 are basically the same idea, which is: is it possible to tell
> postfix to always send the XVERP option when it sends email out with SMTP?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Irvin

Re: enable VERP without changing the application's SMTP client

Wietse Venema
Yu (Irvin) Fan:
> Hi Wietse,
>
> Thanks for replying to my question. I did read that. But I didn't find
> anything that is close to what I described. So I assume it's not possible.

The documentation mentions only the features that are implemented.

The documentation would become rather large, and difficult to use,
if it mentioned all the things that Postfix does not implement.

        Wietse