error logging from content_filter

Tim Coote-2
Hullo

I've just extended my postfix implementation to add in the after queue model of content filtering based on spambayes. I finally got this 'working'. However, I cannot get the external script to log to syslog, so when it works, it works, should it fail, I get no notification/audit trail.

I was expecting that outputting to stderr from the content_filter script that's invoked would get logged in syslog, but I can neither get this to work, nor can I get logger to output to syslog.

Before I run down a cul-de-sac, I thought that I'd just ask if I'm doing the right thing, or missed something obvious

tia

Tim

Re: error logging from content_filter

mouss-2
Tim Coote wrote:

> Hullo
>
> I've just extended my postfix implementation to add in the after queue model
> of content filtering based on spambayes. I finally got this 'working'.
> However, I cannot get the external script to log to syslog, so when it
> works, it works, should it fail, I get no notification/audit trail.
>
> I was expecting that outputting to stderr from the content_filter script
> that's invoked would get logged in syslog, but I can neither get this to
> work, nor can I get logger to output to syslog.
>
> Before I run down a cul-de-sac, I thought that I'd just ask if I'm doing the
> right thing, or missed something obvious

if you want to log, use a logging function.

check your script language docs for a syslog API. if it's a shell
script, try
# man logger

Re: error logging from content_filter

Victor Duchovni
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:59:54PM +0200, mouss wrote:

> check your script language docs for a syslog API. if it's a shell
> script, try
> # man logger

If "logger" is not an option, you may be able to use postlog(1).