first-timer using postmap - help please

John M. Dlugosz-4
I'm running Debian Etch with the .deb packages.

    # postconf -m
    btree
    cidr
    environ
    hash
    nis
    proxy
    regexp
    sdbm
    static
    tcp
    unix

Then I made a file recipient_checks.regep after the
recipient_checks.pcre example shown at
http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt, and when I tried to
index it:

    # postmap regexp:recipient_checks.regexp
    postmap: fatal: dict_mkmap_func: unsupported dictionary type:
regexp:  Is the postfix-regexp package installed?

Well, the previous command is supposed to tell me what is available, is
it not?

So I hit Synaptic and find there is a postfix-pcre package, and install
that.  Then I rename my file and get:

    # postmap pcre:recipient_checks.pcre
    postmap: fatal: dict_mkmap_func: unsupported dictionary type: pcre
does not allow map creation.

OK, what's wrong?

Thanks,
--John

Re: first-timer using postmap - help please

Wietse Venema
John M. Dlugosz:
> Then I made a file recipient_checks.regep after the
> recipient_checks.pcre example shown at
> http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt, and when I tried to
> index it:
>
>     # postmap regexp:recipient_checks.regexp
>     postmap: fatal: dict_mkmap_func: unsupported dictionary type:

There is no need to index regexp files. If you found documentation
to the contrary then that documentation is in error.

"postmap -q" is a tool that can be used to query regexp files.

Re: first-timer using postmap - help please

Sahil Tandon
John M. Dlugosz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    # postmap regexp:recipient_checks.regexp
>    postmap: fatal: dict_mkmap_func: unsupported dictionary type: regexp:

[...]

>    # postmap pcre:recipient_checks.pcre
>    postmap: fatal: dict_mkmap_func: unsupported dictionary type: pcre does
> not allow map creation.
>
> OK, what's wrong?

man postmap(1) -- specifically the "file type" section under Arguments, where
it is stated that the postmap command creates *only* the following file
types: btree, cdb, dbm, hash, and sdbm.

--
Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>