force bouncing messages on queue

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães

    is it possible, with postfix 2.4, to immediately bounce some message
that is stuck on the queue ??

    i know i can simply remove it from the queue with postsuper -d ....
but on that case, sender wouldnt know that message wasnt delivered. I
would like that, instead of simply removing, forcing a bounce for that
message before it reaches maximal_queue_lifetime.

    can it be done ?

    Thanks !

--

        Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
        Leonardo Rodrigues

        My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

Re: force bouncing messages on queue

Reinaldo Gil Lima de Carvalho
>   is it possible, with postfix 2.4, to immediately bounce some message that
> is stuck on the queue ??
>
>   i know i can simply remove it from the queue with postsuper -d .... but on
> that case, sender wouldnt know that message wasnt delivered. I would like
> that, instead of simply removing, forcing a bounce for that message before
> it reaches maximal_queue_lifetime.

I am also interested in this feature. I develop a software for queue
maintenence (http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=206408&ssid=83364)
and this feature is always requested by users.

Reinaldo Carvalho
http://korreio.sf.net

Re: force bouncing messages on queue

Victor Duchovni
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 01:13:22PM -0300, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalh?es wrote:

>    is it possible, with postfix 2.4, to immediately bounce some message
> that is stuck on the queue ??
>
>    i know i can simply remove it from the queue with postsuper -d ....
> but on that case, sender wouldnt know that message wasnt delivered. I
> would like that, instead of simply removing, forcing a bounce for that
> message before it reaches maximal_queue_lifetime.

What's the rush? It will bounce soon enough. The real issue is that you
want to manually baby-sit your queue, and it is generally best to let mail
get handle automatically and consistently in the same way. Don't create
expectations of a service level that you cannot consistently deliver.

Re: force bouncing messages on queue

Sahil Tandon
* Victor Duchovni <[hidden email]> [05-18-2008]:

wrote:

> >    is it possible, with postfix 2.4, to immediately bounce some message
> > that is stuck on the queue ??
> >
> >    i know i can simply remove it from the queue with postsuper -d ....
> > but on that case, sender wouldnt know that message wasnt delivered. I
> > would like that, instead of simply removing, forcing a bounce for that
> > message before it reaches maximal_queue_lifetime.
> >

> What's the rush? It will bounce soon enough. The real issue is that you
> want to manually baby-sit your queue, and it is generally best to let mail
> get handle automatically and consistently in the same way. Don't create
> expectations of a service level that you cannot consistently deliver.

Some context for the OP:

http://www.security-express.com/archives/postfix/2002-12/thread.html#2969

--
Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>