force queue to deliver

lists@rhsoft.net
after some troubles with lmtpd mails are in the queue

postsuper -r ALL
postsuper: Requeued: 15 messages

postqueue -f

well, "postfix/qmgr" still shows (queue active)

how to force postfix to deliver *any* mail in the queue independent how
often that happened due timeout on the destination in the past hours?

Re: force queue to deliver

lists@rhsoft.net

Am 01.11.2014 um 18:43 schrieb [hidden email]:

> after some troubles with lmtpd mails are in the queue
>
> postsuper -r ALL
> postsuper: Requeued: 15 messages
>
> postqueue -f
>
> well, "postfix/qmgr" still shows (queue active)
>
> how to force postfix to deliver *any* mail in the queue independent how
> often that happened due timeout on the destination in the past hours?

i don't get it - the messages are in the active queue since "postqueue
-p" shows an asterisk, "postfix flush" don't change anything and after
restart postfix still "(queue active)" messages in the logs

we talk here about a queue with 19 messages and even some incoming new
ones get "(queue active)" logs with no delivery attempts to lmtpd

from time to time 1 or 2 messages are tried to deliver with success but
why don't "postfix flush" the xpected and try to deliver *all*

lmtp_connection_cache_time_limit                    = 600
lmtp_connection_reuse_time_limit                    = 600
lmtp_destination_concurrency_limit                  = 1
dbmail-lmtp_destination_concurrency_limit           = 1
dbmail-lmtp_destination_rate_delay                  = 0

* The message is in the active queue, i.e. the message is selected for
delivery

in fact any message has the asterisk

Nov  1 19:20:06 mail postfix/master[4886]: terminating on signal 15
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/postfix-script[5479]: starting the Postfix
mail system
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/master[5481]: daemon started -- version
2.11.3, configuration /etc/postfix
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVTDt122gz38: from=<******>,
size=75721, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT9H4FzCz32: from=<******>,
size=59999, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b1Hbpz3B: from=<******>,
size=6152, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT7c3hR2z2W: from=<******>,
size=243312, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b28Dgz2q: from=<******>,
size=4580, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVTFc1ZGrz3C: from=<******>,
size=46551, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT6p1hX8z3H: from=<******>,
size=354985, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b24tyz37: from=<******>,
size=228040, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT7s5tKWz2h: from=<******>,
size=77336, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT8R0v7Sz34: from=<******>,
size=15198, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b2BFzz3G: from=<******>,
size=19747, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b1QgDz31: from=<******>,
size=1875, nrcpt=4 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b12Mfz3R: from=<******>,
size=85639, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b1tQpz33: from=<******>,
size=241133, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT7y5lxRz2k: from=<******>,
size=147898, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b1jzhz3P: from=<******>,
size=16768, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b2Gbtz3M: from=<******>,
size=103962, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov  1 19:20:07 mail postfix/qmgr[5483]: 3jVT4b225mz36: from=<******>,
size=72917, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

Re: force queue to deliver

[hidden email]:
> after some troubles with lmtpd mails are in the queue
>
> postsuper -r ALL
> postsuper: Requeued: 15 messages
>
> postqueue -f
>
> well, "postfix/qmgr" still shows (queue active)

In other words, it is waiting fir delivery agents.

> how to force postfix to deliver *any* mail in the queue independent how
> often that happened due timeout on the destination in the past hours?

It is waiting for delivery agents.

Re: force queue to deliver

lists@rhsoft.net

Am 01.11.2014 um 19:35 schrieb Wietse Venema:

> [hidden email]:
>> after some troubles with lmtpd mails are in the queue
>>
>> postsuper -r ALL
>> postsuper: Requeued: 15 messages
>>
>> postqueue -f
>>
>> well, "postfix/qmgr" still shows (queue active)
>
> In other words, it is waiting for delivery agents.
>
>> how to force postfix to deliver *any* mail in the queue independent how
>> often that happened due timeout on the destination in the past hours?
>
> It is waiting for delivery agents.

how long?

anyways, after it started to deliver all queued mails i realized that it
is always the same junk-message from china making dbmail-lmtpd hang,
saved it with postcat, deleted it from the queue and delivery started to
work fine again for the rest

postcat file is on the wy to dbmail upstream

Re: force queue to deliver

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:

> >> well, "postfix/qmgr" still shows (queue active)
> >
> > In other words, it is waiting for delivery agents.
> >
> >> how to force postfix to deliver *any* mail in the queue independent how
> >> often that happened due timeout on the destination in the past hours?
> >
> > It is waiting for delivery agents.
>
> how long?

The Postfix SMTP/LMTP client has time limits for DNS lookups, TCP
handshakes, SMTP handshakes, TLS handshakes, and for individial
SMTP/LMTP commands.

Without a crystal ball I can't say which of the time limits is in
effect.

> anyways, after it started to deliver all queued mails i realized that it
> is always the same junk-message from china making dbmail-lmtpd hang,
> saved it with postcat, deleted it from the queue and delivery started to
> work fine again for the rest

You have delivery concurrency of 1? Why?

Re: force queue to deliver

lists@rhsoft.net

Am 01.11.2014 um 19:58 schrieb Wietse Venema:

> [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> In other words, it is waiting for delivery agents.

>>> It is waiting for delivery agents.
>>
>> how long?
>
> The Postfix SMTP/LMTP client has time limits for DNS lookups, TCP
> handshakes, SMTP handshakes, TLS handshakes, and for individial
> SMTP/LMTP commands.
>
> Without a crystal ball I can't say which of the time limits is in
> effect.

there was nothing further in the logs, also after "postfix flush"
however, the real problem where that the lmtpd started to hang in case
of the oldest message with a NULL char (reported upstream)

>> anyways, after it started to deliver all queued mails i realized that it
>> is always the same junk-message from china making dbmail-lmtpd hang,
>> saved it with postcat, deleted it from the queue and delivery started to
>> work fine again for the rest
>
> You have delivery concurrency of 1? Why?

dbmail-lmtpd is single threaded and would anyways process only one
message at the same time - the setting is recommended upstream

however, the message should not have made it through spmass-milter

1.6 NULL_IN_BODY FULL: Message has NUL (ASCII 0) byte in message
UPDATED: /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
  238a239
  > score NULL_IN_BODY 8.0

Re: force queue to deliver

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:

> > The Postfix SMTP/LMTP client has time limits for DNS lookups, TCP
> > handshakes, SMTP handshakes, TLS handshakes, and for individial
> > SMTP/LMTP commands.
> >
> > Without a crystal ball I can't say which of the time limits is in
> > effect.
>
> there was nothing further in the logs, also after "postfix flush"
> however, the real problem where that the lmtpd started to hang in case
> of the oldest message with a NULL char (reported upstream)

The Postfix client will log a timeout event after a while. Until
then it makes no noise.

> >> anyways, after it started to deliver all queued mails i realized that it
> >> is always the same junk-message from china making dbmail-lmtpd hang,
> >> saved it with postcat, deleted it from the queue and delivery started to
> >> work fine again for the rest
> >
> > You have delivery concurrency of 1? Why?
>
> dbmail-lmtpd is single threaded and would anyways process only one
> message at the same time - the setting is recommended upstream

Single threaded, and it locks up with nulls? Bleh.

> however, the message should not have made it through spmass-milter
>
> 1.6 NULL_IN_BODY FULL: Message has NUL (ASCII 0) byte in message
> UPDATED: /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>   238a239
>   > score NULL_IN_BODY 8.0

Postfix has a diaper for that, called message_strip_characters.
This was originally implemented for buggy Microsoft servers.

Re: force queue to deliver

lists@rhsoft.net

Am 01.11.2014 um 20:20 schrieb Wietse Venema:

> [hidden email]:
>>> The Postfix SMTP/LMTP client has time limits for DNS lookups, TCP
>>> handshakes, SMTP handshakes, TLS handshakes, and for individial
>>> SMTP/LMTP commands.
>>>
>>> Without a crystal ball I can't say which of the time limits is in
>>> effect.
>>
>> there was nothing further in the logs, also after "postfix flush"
>> however, the real problem where that the lmtpd started to hang in case
>> of the oldest message with a NULL char (reported upstream)
>
> The Postfix client will log a timeout event after a while. Until
> then it makes no noise
 >
>>> You have delivery concurrency of 1? Why?
>>
>> dbmail-lmtpd is single threaded and would anyways process only one
>> message at the same time - the setting is recommended upstream
>
> Single threaded, and it locks up with nulls? Bleh.

sadly yes

>> however, the message should not have made it through spmass-milter
>>
>> 1.6 NULL_IN_BODY FULL: Message has NUL (ASCII 0) byte in message
>> UPDATED: /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>>    238a239
>>    > score NULL_IN_BODY 8.0
>
> Postfix has a diaper for that, called message_strip_characters.
> This was originally implemented for buggy Microsoft servers

thanks for the hint

i added the reject param for that since this was the first message where
the SA-rule got triggered and the milter would reject it too, well last
but not least it was c lear junk mail

message_reject_characters = \0