header check question

jeffrey j donovan
greetings

can I do this without an if then endif?

/^to: *friend@public\.com$ && ^from: *[hidden email]/ WARN

-j

Re: header check question

Noel Jones-2
jeff donovan wrote:
> greetings
>
> can I do this without an if then endif?
>
> /^to: *friend@public\.com$ && ^from: *[hidden email]/ WARN
>

> -j

- && syntax in not defined, you can't do that.
- comparing two headers is not supported, you can't do that
either.

Noel Jones

Re: header check question

jeff donovan:
> greetings
>
> can I do this without an if then endif?
>
> /^to: *friend@public\.com$ && ^from: *[hidden email]/ WARN

man header_checks

All supported behavior is documented.

Re: header check question

jeffrey j donovan

On May 9, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> jeff donovan:
>> greetings
>>
>> can I do this without an if then endif?
>>
>> /^to: *friend@public\.com$ && ^from: *[hidden email]/ WARN
>
> man header_checks
>
> All supported behavior is documented.

Ah yes,..

okay did a bunch of reading. and the reoccurring theme is ;
Header (and body) checks process one header (or line, with body
checks) at a time.

So my question is.
is there a better way to reject/bounce/warn when a message from
user1@domain to user2@domain shows up?

simliar to this, although I know this wont work.
if /^To:.*postmaster@example\.com/ /^From: user2@example\.com/ WARN
endif

Re: header check question

Noel Jones-2
jeff donovan wrote:

> On May 9, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
>> jeff donovan:
>>> greetings
>>>
>>> can I do this without an if then endif?
>>>
>>> /^to: *friend@public\.com$ && ^from: *[hidden email]/ WARN
>>
>> man header_checks
>>
>> All supported behavior is documented.
>>

> Ah yes,..
>
> okay did a bunch of reading. and the reoccurring theme is ;
> Header (and body) checks process one header (or line, with body checks)
> at a time.
>
> So my question is.
> is there a better way to reject/bounce/warn when a message from
> user1@domain to user2@domain shows up?
>
> simliar to this, although I know this wont work.
> if /^To:.*postmaster@example\.com/ /^From: user2@example\.com/ WARN endif

Yes, but do it with smtpd restrictions rather than
header_checks. Please see:

Noel Jones

Re: header check question

d.hill
On Fri, 9 May 2008 at 13:47 -0400, [hidden email] confabulated:

> On May 9, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
>> jeff donovan:
>>> greetings
>>>
>>> can I do this without an if then endif?
>>>
>>> /^to: *friend@public\.com$ && ^from: *[hidden email]/ WARN
>>
>> man header_checks
>>
>> All supported behavior is documented.
>>

> Ah yes,..
>
> okay did a bunch of reading. and the reoccurring theme is ;
> Header (and body) checks process one header (or line, with body checks) at a
> time.
>
> So my question is.
> is there a better way to reject/bounce/warn when a message from user1@domain
> to user2@domain shows up?
>
> simliar to this, although I know this wont work.
> if /^To:.*postmaster@example\.com/ /^From: user2@example\.com/ WARN endif

I would believe it shouldn't be too difficult to create a policy service
to do this:

Re: header check question

d.hill
On Fri, 9 May 2008 at 13:00 -0500, [hidden email] confabulated:

> jeff donovan wrote:
>>
>> On May 9, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>>
>>> jeff donovan:

>>> man header_checks
>>>
>>> All supported behavior is documented.
>>>

>> Ah yes,..
>>
>> okay did a bunch of reading. and the reoccurring theme is ;
>> Header (and body) checks process one header (or line, with body checks) at
>> a time.
>>
>> So my question is.
>> is there a better way to reject/bounce/warn when a message from
>> user1@domain to user2@domain shows up?
>>
>> simliar to this, although I know this wont work.
>> if /^To:.*postmaster@example\.com/ /^From: user2@example\.com/ WARN endif
>
> Yes, but do it with smtpd restrictions rather than header_checks. Please see:
> http://www.postfix.org/RESTRICTION_CLASS_README.html

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a response like this before
for something similar. Thanks for the memory-refresh.

Re: header check question

/dev/rob0
On Fri May 9 2008 13:02:30 D Hill wrote:
> >> jeff donovan:

> > okay did a bunch of reading. and the reoccurring theme is ;
> > Header (and body) checks process one header (or line, with body
> > checks) at a time.
> >
> > So my question is.
> > is there a better way to reject/bounce/warn when a message from
> > user1@domain to user2@domain shows up?
snip
> I would believe it shouldn't be too difficult to create a policy
> service to do this:

But note that the OP was talking about header addresses, whilst a
policy service does not have access to the message body, only the SMTP
envelope. The OP would be well advised to learn about how mail works.

Re: header check question

jeffrey j donovan

On May 9, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Noel Jones wrote:

> jeff donovan wrote:
>> On May 9, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>>> jeff donovan:

>>> man header_checks
>>>
>>> All supported behavior is documented.
>>>
>> Ah yes,..
>> okay did a bunch of reading. and the reoccurring theme is ;
>> Header (and body) checks process one header (or line, with body
>> checks) at a time.
>> So my question is.
>> is there a better way to reject/bounce/warn when a message from
>> user1@domain to user2@domain shows up?
>> simliar to this, although I know this wont work.
>> if /^To:.*postmaster@example\.com/ /^From: user2@example\.com/ WARN
>> endif
>
> Yes, but do it with smtpd restrictions rather than header_checks.
> Please see:
> http://www.postfix.org/RESTRICTION_CLASS_README.html
>
> --
> Noel Jones

thanks for the reply Noel,

i read through this but I still did not see any method of denying
access from one user to another within the same domain.

like if I had a test group that i did not want to be able to send
messages to. without creating another domain name. ( these are all
internal only )
i was hoping to do something like this within the recipient
restrictions.
/^to: joeuser@my\.domain\.com$ | ^from: someuser@my\.domain\.com/ REJECT

would I need the " \ " before the " . " guess not if i use a regular
access data base.

-j

Re: header check question

mouss-2
jeff donovan wrote:

> On May 9, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
>
>> jeff donovan wrote:

>>> Ah yes,..
>>> okay did a bunch of reading. and the reoccurring theme is ;
>>> Header (and body) checks process one header (or line, with body
>>> checks) at a time.
>>> So my question is.
>>> is there a better way to reject/bounce/warn when a message from
>>> user1@domain to user2@domain shows up?
>>> simliar to this, although I know this wont work.
>>> if /^To:.*postmaster@example\.com/ /^From: user2@example\.com/ WARN
>>> endif
>>
>> Yes, but do it with smtpd restrictions rather than header_checks.
>> Please see:
>> http://www.postfix.org/RESTRICTION_CLASS_README.html
>>
>> --
>> Noel Jones
>>

> thanks for the reply Noel,
>
> i read through this but I still did not see any method of denying
> access from one user to another within the same domain.
>
> like if I had a test group that i did not want to be able to send
> messages to. without creating another domain name. ( these are all
> internal only )
> i was hoping to do something like this within the recipient restrictions.
> /^to: joeuser@my\.domain\.com$ | ^from: someuser@my\.domain\.com/ REJECT

you need to read documentation to see what formats are supported.

The link posted by Noel has examples on how to limit access for a user
(local_only).