hosting emails at home

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

hosting emails at home

André Rodier
Hello everyone,

I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.

I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.

The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup itself, by
creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate DNS
records.

This is so far what I have achieved:
- Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
- Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
- Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
- Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
- LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
- Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube

Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is configured
as well, although basic.

The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished. I
am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other things.

Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without errors.

If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part, it
is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox

Kind regards,
André Rodier.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hosting emails at home

Robert Wolfe
Andre, sounds sort of like what iRedMail does (minus a few things)...

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.

I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.

The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup itself, by
creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate DNS
records.

This is so far what I have achieved:
- Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
- Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
- Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
- Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
- LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
- Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube

Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is configured
as well, although basic.

The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished. I
am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other things.

Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without errors.

If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part, it
is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox

Kind regards,
André Rodier.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hosting emails at home

André Rodier
Hello Rob,

I know iRedMail, and it is definitely different ;-) For many reasons!

Kind regards,
André

On 10/12/17 19:58, Robert Wolfe wrote:

> Andre, sounds sort of like what iRedMail does (minus a few things)...
>
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
>     After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
>     am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
>
>     I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
>     to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.
>
>     The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup itself, by
>     creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate DNS
>     records.
>
>     This is so far what I have achieved:
>     - Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
>     - Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
>     - Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
>     - Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
>     - LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
>     - Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube
>
>     Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is configured
>     as well, although basic.
>
>     The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished. I
>     am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other things.
>
>     Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
>     robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without errors.
>
>     If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part, it
>     is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox
>     <https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox>
>
>     Kind regards,
>     André Rodier.
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hosting emails at home

Viktor Dukhovni
In reply to this post by André Rodier


> On Dec 10, 2017, at 2:04 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
> After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
> am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
>
> I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
> to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.

Have you looked at https://mailinabox.email ?

--
        Viktor.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hosting emails at home

lists@lazygranch.com
I don't like html control panels. Just another thing to get hacked. Iredmail and mailinabox have that "feature." Having been hacked via roundcube back in the day when I used a hosting service, I certainly wouldn't add those features to my email.

Thus far, postfix and dovecot have been pain free other than openssl issues. (somehow libressl got installed once doing updates and it broke one of the programs)

I ssh to my VPS,  hoping sshguard keeps things safe. Using CLI isn't the end of the world.


  Original Message  
From: [hidden email]
Sent: December 10, 2017 4:34 PM
To: [hidden email]
Reply-to: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: hosting emails at home



> On Dec 10, 2017, at 2:04 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
> After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
> am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
>
> I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
> to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.

Have you looked at https://mailinabox.email ?

--
Viktor.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hosting emails at home

André Rodier
In reply to this post by Viktor Dukhovni
On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 07:34:14PM -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>
>
> > On Dec 10, 2017, at 2:04 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
> > After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
> > am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
> >
> > I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
> > to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.
>
> Have you looked at https://mailinabox.email ?
>
> --
> Viktor.
>

Hello Viktor,

Thanks for thr link, it is definitely interesting.

I prefer to keep my emails and other files at home, in a physical box, this is why I started this project.

The final result I want achieve is different.

Kind regards,
André