hotmail problems

Stefan Palme-2
Hi all,

for some reasons, mail sent from our postfix server to hotmail are
ACCEPTED by the hotmail mail server, but never delivered to the final
recipient. (See below relevant output of "postconf -n" and part of a
log of our postfix server).

Sending mails e.g. from GMX to the same hotmail address works -
a special testmail even has been stored in the "spam"-folder, so
I know that even spam will not be deleted but delivered to the
recipient.

Our mail server has a static IP address (213.239.198.170) and is
used for outgoing mails for ages - without any other problems...

Any hints? I am almost sure this is no postfix problem, at least
not with OUR sending mail server. But maybe there somebody
knows, WHY hotmail does not deliver the mails?

Thanks and regards
-stefan-

postconf -n:
allow_min_user = yes
append_at_myorigin = yes
append_dot_mydomain = yes
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
maximal_queue_lifetime = 3d
message_size_limit = 51200000
mydestination = localhost, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, $myhostname
mydomain = ancoso-development.de
myhostname = mail.$mydomain
mynetworks = 127.0.0.1/32
myorigin = $mydomain
recipient_delimiter = +
smtp_helo_name = $mydomain
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
# all smtpd_* options removed

log output:
[postfix/smtpd] 5BC304A40BA: client=unknown[217.243.198.42], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=XXX
[postfix/cleanup] 5BC304A40BA: message-id=<4857AA58.000003.04340@ANJA-IHRER>
[postfix/qmgr] 5BC304A40BA: from=<[hidden email]>, size=72242, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
[postfix/smtpd] B7B584A40C4: client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
[postfix/cleanup] B7B584A40C4: message-id=<4857AA58.000003.04340@ANJA-IHRER>
[postfix/qmgr] B7B584A40C4: from=<[hidden email]>, size=72443, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
[postfix/smtp] 5BC304A40BA: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10025, delay=0.42, delays=0.38/0/0/0.04, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as B7B584A40C4)
[postfix/qmgr] 5BC304A40BA: removed
[postfix/smtp] B7B584A40C4: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.244.200]:25, delay=2.2, delays=0.04/0/0.52/1.6, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250  <4857AA58.000003.04340@ANJA-IHRER> Queued mail for delivery)
[postfix/qmgr] B7B584A40C4: removed

(the indirection through 127.0.0.1 is because of our amavisd
checking mails first)....

Dipl. Inf. (FH) Stefan Palme

email: [hidden email]
www:   http://hbci4java.kapott.org
       http://converter-db.de
       http://myamavis.kapott.org
icq:   36376278

key fingerprint: 1BA7 D217 36A1 534C A5AD  F18A E2D1 488A E904 F9EC

Re: hotmail problems

Mark Blackman-4
On 17 Jun 2008, at 13:36, Stefan Palme wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> for some reasons, mail sent from our postfix server to hotmail are
> ACCEPTED by the hotmail mail server, but never delivered to the final
> recipient. (See below relevant output of "postconf -n" and part of a
> log of our postfix server).
>
> Sending mails e.g. from GMX to the same hotmail address works -
> a special testmail even has been stored in the "spam"-folder, so
> I know that even spam will not be deleted but delivered to the
> recipient.
>
> Our mail server has a static IP address (213.239.198.170) and is
> used for outgoing mails for ages - without any other problems...

Hotmail almost certainly will require you to publish SPF records
for the sender's domain and notify them that you have published them.

http://postmaster.live.com/Guidelines.aspx

- Mark

Re: hotmail problems

lst_hoe02
Zitat von Stefan Palme <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> for some reasons, mail sent from our postfix server to hotmail are
> ACCEPTED by the hotmail mail server, but never delivered to the final
> recipient. (See below relevant output of "postconf -n" and part of a
> log of our postfix server).
>
> Sending mails e.g. from GMX to the same hotmail address works -
> a special testmail even has been stored in the "spam"-folder, so
> I know that even spam will not be deleted but delivered to the
> recipient.
>
> Our mail server has a static IP address (213.239.198.170) and is
> used for outgoing mails for ages - without any other problems...
>
> Any hints? I am almost sure this is no postfix problem, at least
> not with OUR sending mail server. But maybe there somebody
> knows, WHY hotmail does not deliver the mails?

There have been many reports and in fact we also had this problem with
some private mail send from our company mailserver to hotmail. Your
chances to reach recipients at hotmail may raise if you have correct
reverse DNS, don't excess some limit of mail sent to them and publish
SPF records and so on. But fact is only hotmail can tell you where the
e-mail has gone and as far as i know they don't even bother.

Baseline : No one you take care of e-mail uses hotmail any more.

Regards

Andreas

Re: hotmail problems

David Porsche'
All,

I had issues delivering to hotmail a few months back when the network guys
forced me to switch the external IP on one of our mass mailers.  I found
that you should join all of their programs Smart Network Data Services
(SNDS) & Junk E-Mail Reporting Program (JMRP).  After you join all of
their programs and have followed all of their guidelines posted at
postmaster.hotmail.com you can open up a service ticket with them.  They
were actually pretty responsive when I opened the service ticket.  By no
means was this a cake walk.  My efforts took quite a while and allot of
leg work  but in the end it paid off.  You can also take the more
expensive route and pay for services like senderscore which will pretty
much give access to the front door.

Thanks,
David

> Zitat von Stefan Palme <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> for some reasons, mail sent from our postfix server to hotmail are
>> ACCEPTED by the hotmail mail server, but never delivered to the final
>> recipient. (See below relevant output of "postconf -n" and part of a
>> log of our postfix server).
>>
>> Sending mails e.g. from GMX to the same hotmail address works -
>> a special testmail even has been stored in the "spam"-folder, so
>> I know that even spam will not be deleted but delivered to the
>> recipient.
>>
>> Our mail server has a static IP address (213.239.198.170) and is
>> used for outgoing mails for ages - without any other problems...
>>
>> Any hints? I am almost sure this is no postfix problem, at least
>> not with OUR sending mail server. But maybe there somebody
>> knows, WHY hotmail does not deliver the mails?
>
> There have been many reports and in fact we also had this problem with
> some private mail send from our company mailserver to hotmail. Your
> chances to reach recipients at hotmail may raise if you have correct
> reverse DNS, don't excess some limit of mail sent to them and publish
> SPF records and so on. But fact is only hotmail can tell you where the
> e-mail has gone and as far as i know they don't even bother.
>
> Baseline : No one you take care of e-mail uses hotmail any more.
>
> Regards
>
> Andreas

Re: hotmail problems

Stefan Palme wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> for some reasons, mail sent from our postfix server to hotmail are
> ACCEPTED by the hotmail mail server, but never delivered to the final
> recipient. (See below relevant output of "postconf -n" and part of a
> log of our postfix server).
>
> Sending mails e.g. from GMX to the same hotmail address works -
> a special testmail even has been stored in the "spam"-folder, so
> I know that even spam will not be deleted but delivered to the
> recipient.
>
> Our mail server has a static IP address (213.239.198.170) and is
> used for outgoing mails for ages - without any other problems...

$ host 213.239.198.17
17.198.239.213.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
213-239-198-17.clients.your-server.de.

you have a generic rDNS. many sites don't like that. I doubt you'll get
anywhere with hotmail, aol, ... etc.
    http://postmaster-us.aol.com/guidelines/bestprac.html

now, you can try setting up SPF records. These help a little with
hotmail. if you do so, get things right from the start because hotmail
do "cache" the computed reputation for a long time (so updating SPF
records won't work as intended).

> Any hints? I am almost sure this is no postfix problem, at least
> not with OUR sending mail server. But maybe there somebody
> knows, WHY hotmail does not deliver the mails?
>
> [snip]

Re: hotmail problems

Bob001
IT seems ou need to become part of there SENDERID program. I got added there and it worked..partially.
Now they are delivered but into Junk folder.

SPF,DKIM,DOMAINKEYS signed email is delieverd in JUNK folder..sent by mailman/postfix/dkim-proxy. :-(

On 6/17/08, mouss <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stefan Palme wrote:
Hi all,

for some reasons, mail sent from our postfix server to hotmail are ACCEPTED by the hotmail mail server, but never delivered to the final
recipient. (See below relevant output of "postconf -n" and part of a
log of our postfix server).

Sending mails e.g. from GMX to the same hotmail address works - a special testmail even has been stored in the "spam"-folder, so
I know that even spam will not be deleted but delivered to the
recipient.

Our mail server has a static IP address (<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://213.239.198.170/" target="_blank">213.239.198.170) and is
used for outgoing mails for ages - without any other problems...

$ host <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://213.239.198.17/" target="_blank">213.239.198.17
17.198.239.213.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://213-239-198-17.clients.your-server.de/" target="_blank">213-239-198-17.clients.your-server.de.

you have a generic rDNS. many sites don't like that. I doubt you'll get anywhere with hotmail, aol, ... etc.
  <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://postmaster-us.aol.com/guidelines/bestprac.html" target="_blank">http://postmaster-us.aol.com/guidelines/bestprac.html