how to defer all incoming mail?

Aaron Bennett
Hi,

I have a need to accept and defer all incoming email for a period of a
few hours ( while a backend cleanup process runs on an imap server ).
Is there a way to do this?  I was thinking accept it, put it in the
defer queue instead of moving on to local delivery, and then after the
backend is cleaned up, either flush the defer queue or wait a while and
let it get delivered.

Thanks -- and if I'm stupid, let me know and I'll cheerfully accept the
beating.

- Aaron

Re: how to defer all incoming mail?

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Aaron Bennett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a need to accept and defer all incoming email for a period of a
> few hours ( while a backend cleanup process runs on an imap server ).
> Is there a way to do this?  I was thinking accept it, put it in the
> defer queue instead of moving on to local delivery, and then after the
> backend is cleaned up, either flush the defer queue or wait a while
> and let it get delivered.
>
> Thanks -- and if I'm stupid, let me know and I'll cheerfully accept
> the beating.

Try looking into http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#defer_transports
You can apply this to the local or virtual transport (as an example..
depends on your config) for temporary use and then remove it when done.
It also specifies the command to flush them out.

Brian