how to migrate postfix service to a temporary server?

how to migrate postfix service to a temporary server?

Zhengquan Zhang-2
Hi, postfix list,

I have a mail/web server running postfix with mailman and the harddrive
for the server is on the verge of failure. And we plan to do a fresh OS
install on the old server. So I am going to migrate the postfix service
to a temporary server and during this period time, I will install new
harddrive and reinstall OS on the old server, when everything is ok. I
migrate postfix back to it off the temporary server.

I am pretty new to postfix. Could anybody point to me a guide for this
kind of migration? I google "postfix migration" but the result is not
very relevant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Zhengquan

Re: how to migrate postfix service to a temporary server?

Victor Duchovni
On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:32:39PM -0500, Zhengquan Zhang wrote:

> Hi, postfix list,
>
> I have a mail/web server running postfix with mailman and the harddrive
> for the server is on the verge of failure. And we plan to do a fresh OS
> install on the old server. So I am going to migrate the postfix service
> to a temporary server and during this period time, I will install new
> harddrive and reinstall OS on the old server, when everything is ok. I
> migrate postfix back to it off the temporary server.
>
> I am pretty new to postfix. Could anybody point to me a guide for this
> kind of migration? I google "postfix migration" but the result is not
> very relevant.

FAQ. Point MX records, ... at the new server. Set relayhost on the
old server to be the new server, making sure the new server will
accept all mail from the old (mynetworks or similar). Drain old
server's queue after shutting down its 'smtp inet' service.

Similar recipes in list archives.