how to setup postfix in "deliver-only" mode?

how to setup postfix in "deliver-only" mode?

Andy Spiegl-7
Hi,

I've got a server where a own smtp-server is listening on port 25 for
incoming messages.  But it can't deliver outgoing mail.  So I want
postfix (2.3.8-2+b1, GNU/Debian etch) to do that job.

I commented out smtpd in master.cf and let my own smtp-server deliver
mails to postfix via /usr/sbin/sendmail.  That works great.

But when postfix can't deliver a message and has to create a bounce
message it complains (correctly):

 May  6 14:11:50 sienna postfix/smtp[32686]: D0D552F401B: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (mail for EXAMPLE.COM loops back to myself)
 May  6 14:11:50 sienna postfix/qmgr[13849]: D0D552F401B: removed

How can I tell postfix to deliver these mails to the listed MX servers
anyway?  (although this will be the same server postfix is running, too)

And what I am wondering too: does it really simply delete these bounces?
Can I configure postfix to write them to a local mbox?

Thanks a lot for any hint,
 Andy.

# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
inet_protocols = ipv4
mailbox_command =
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination =
myhostname = sienna.EXAMPLE.COM
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
myorigin = /etc/mailname
recipient_delimiter =
relayhost =
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtpd_use_tls = yes

 For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and wrong.
   -- Henry L. Mencken

Re: how to setup postfix in "deliver-only" mode?

Wietse Venema
Andy Spiegl:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a server where a own smtp-server is listening on port 25 for
> incoming messages.  But it can't deliver outgoing mail.  So I want
> postfix (2.3.8-2+b1, GNU/Debian etch) to do that job.
>
> I commented out smtpd in master.cf and let my own smtp-server deliver
> mails to postfix via /usr/sbin/sendmail.  That works great.
>
> But when postfix can't deliver a message and has to create a bounce
> message it complains (correctly):
>
>  May  6 14:11:50 sienna postfix/smtp[32686]: D0D552F401B: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (mail for EXAMPLE.COM loops back to myself)
>  May  6 14:11:50 sienna postfix/qmgr[13849]: D0D552F401B: removed
>
> How can I tell postfix to deliver these mails to the listed MX servers
> anyway?  (although this will be the same server postfix is running, too)

Don't list the local IP addresses in main.cf:inet_interfaces
Don't use the receiving MTA hostname in main.cf:myhostname

> And what I am wondering too: does it really simply delete these bounces?
> Can I configure postfix to write them to a local mbox?

man 5 postconf | less +/notify_classes

Re: how to setup postfix in "deliver-only" mode?

Andy Spiegl-7
Wietse Venema,

thanks, that helped!

> Don't list the local IP addresses in main.cf:inet_interfaces
> Don't use the receiving MTA hostname in main.cf:myhostname

Thanks,
 Andy.

--
 We have joy, we have fun, we have Linux on a SUN ...