iOS Connection Problems

asai
Greetings,

We’re running Postfix 2.11.1 and have been having ongoing intermittent problems with iOS devices connecting to the SMTP service, or so it seems.  Sometime, iOS devices don’t even seem to connect at all and they have to be restarted in order to connect.  This is intermittent on some devices.  Some devices don’t seem have any problems, one in particular has it constantly. E.g. we have a newer iPhone with the latest iOS and it’s constantly needing to be restarted in order to send mail.  However, this issue has been seen on other iOS devices, but not as often.

This problem has been very difficult to figure out, but before I dive head first into debugging, I’m wondering if there have been any known issues with iOS that have been addressed in later versions of Postfix?
Asai

Re: iOS Connection Problems

Anvar Kuchkartaev
Have you checked the certificates of postfix (if SSL supported)‎ and firewall rules of the server?

Anvar Kuchkartaev
[hidden email]
We’re running Postfix 2.11.1 and have been having ongoing intermittent problems with iOS devices connecting to the SMTP service, or so it seems.  Sometime, iOS devices don’t even seem to connect at all and they have to be restarted in order to connect.  This is intermittent on some devices.  Some devices don’t seem have any problems, one in particular has it constantly. E.g. we have a newer iPhone with the latest iOS and it’s constantly needing to be restarted in order to send mail.  However, this issue has been seen on other iOS devices, but not as often.

This problem has been very difficult to figure out, but before I dive head first into debugging, I’m wondering if there have been any known issues with iOS that have been addressed in later versions of Postfix?
Asai

Re: iOS Connection Problems

>Asai:
> This problem has been very difficult to figure out, but before I
> dive head first into debugging, I?m wondering if there have been
> any known issues with iOS that have been addressed in later versions
> of Postfix?  Asai

You might be better off figuring out what the failing sessions have
in common. Are they failing in the TLS handshake? Are they failing
in the TCP handshake?  These are basic questions that you should
be able to answer just by looking at logs.

        Wietse