internal users and error message.

Matthieu PATOU-2
Dear list,

In my company we have a login which is a letter and number (ie. a12345) but our email is [hidden email]
(ie. [hidden email]).
I am setting a new mail system with postfix and cyrus (as a backend for storing mails) so I use virtual_alias_maps to
transform email from [hidden email] to [hidden email] and use finally lmtp as virtual transport.

This setup works pretty good, but the main problems is the error message other user receive when the recipient has an
over quota mailbox.

For exemple :
This is the mail system at host mail.mycorp.com.

                    The mail system

<[hidden email]> (expanded from <[hidden email]>): data format error.
     Command output: a12345: Over quota

Reporting-MTA: dns; ecvad01.mycorp.com
Arrival-Date: Sat,  7 Jun 2008 19:41:52 +0400 (MSD)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; a12345: Over quota

Is there a solution for not exposing this ? I tried to use cannonical maps but it did not do rewriting inside the
message. I think that maybe there is a solution either in rewriting or to deliver message to cyrus by indicating a
userid different from the recipient.

Thank you by advance for your help.

Matthieu

Re: internal users and error message.

Charles Marcus
On 6/8/2008 4:00 PM, Matthieu PATOU wrote:
> In my company we have a login which is a letter and number (ie.
> a12345) but our email is [hidden email] (ie.
> [hidden email]).

Yikes... I don't have any solution for you, sorry, but I'm guessing
there is/was a good reason you did/do this, and I'm curious what that
would be?

Looks to be a maintenance headache for one thing...

--

Best regards,

Charles

Charles Marcus a écrit :

> On 6/8/2008 4:00 PM, Matthieu PATOU wrote:
>> In my company we have a login which is a letter and number (ie.
>> a12345) but our email is [hidden email] (ie.
>> [hidden email]).
>
> Yikes... I don't have any solution for you, sorry, but I'm guessing
> there is/was a good reason you did/do this, and I'm curious what that
> would be?
>
> Looks to be a maintenance headache for one thing...

Thing is that I need to have login like that just because we are part of a bigger company that has norms about login name.
And of course we can't have [hidden email] as email.

And if you think twice it is not so strange, with software like Exchange or Domino you have a login which is often in
this form and you have an email of the form first_name.last_name@domain.

In fact it just seems that I need to find a way for cyrus to know that a12345 is the owner of the mailbox matthieu.patou
  in this case it will be much more easier.

Matthieu

Re: internal users and error message.

Wietse Venema
Matthieu PATOU:

> Charles Marcus a ?crit :
> > On 6/8/2008 4:00 PM, Matthieu PATOU wrote:
> >> In my company we have a login which is a letter and number (ie.
> >> a12345) but our email is [hidden email] (ie.
> >> [hidden email]).
> >
> > Yikes... I don't have any solution for you, sorry, but I'm guessing
> > there is/was a good reason you did/do this, and I'm curious what that
> > would be?
> >
> > Looks to be a maintenance headache for one thing...
> >
> Thing is that I need to have login like that just because we are part of a bigger company that has norms about login name.
> And of course we can't have [hidden email] as email.
>
> And if you think twice it is not so strange, with software like Exchange or Domino you have a login which is often in
> this form and you have an email of the form first_name.last_name@domain.
>
> In fact it just seems that I need to find a way for cyrus to know that a12345 is the owner of the mailbox matthieu.patou
>   in this case it will be much more easier.

That is one solution.

I don't know what will break if an option is added to Postfix to
log the original envelope recipient in delivery status notification
messages.

One thing that will break is when one recipient is aliased into
multiple recipients of which one is bad, or to a bad remote address.
In that case, the delivery status notification message will show
the original address, but the problem is with a different address.

For this reason alone it would be a bad idea to make this a global
Postfix option; it would be safer as an option to individual delivery
agents.

Re: internal users and error message.

Matthieu PATOU-2
>> In fact it just seems that I need to find a way for cyrus to know that a12345 is the owner of the mailbox matthieu.patou
>>   in this case it will be much more easier.
>
> That is one solution.
>
> I don't know what will break if an option is added to Postfix to
> log the original envelope recipient in delivery status notification
> messages.
Why log the original recipient ?
Is it possible to consider [hidden email] as final destination and have map like associated_delivery that
link [hidden email] to a12345 ? so that we can have a variable ${whatever} valuated to a12345 for delivery
through pipe programs (ie. deliver -m ${extension} ${whatever}) and when doing LMTP just use a12345 as recipient.

Just my ideas but they are maybe just stupid let me know !

Matthieu

Re: internal users and error message.

Wietse Venema
Matthieu PATOU:
> >> In fact it just seems that I need to find a way for cyrus to know that a12345 is the owner of the mailbox matthieu.patou
> >>   in this case it will be much more easier.
> >
> > That is one solution.
> >
> > I don't know what will break if an option is added to Postfix to
> > log the original envelope recipient in delivery status notification
> > messages.
> Why log the original recipient ?

I explained that in my reply.

I also explained there why it is bad to always log the original
recipient instead of the one that fails.

        Wietse