local delivery failing after years of working

local delivery failing after years of working

Steve Drach
I’m puzzled.  I’ve been running postfix for several years.  Around August of 2014 I moved to a new system and reinstalled postfix.  It’s been working fine until last monday when I stopped getting email.  Here’s what I know.

1. the logs, especially the local daemon, indicates the message is delivered

2. my disk is only 10% full

3. mail to another user on my system is delivered without problem

4. my mail directory has same permissions as the user that gets mail, and both directories are owned by respective owners

5. if I put a .forward file in my home directory, mail is forwarded correctly

6. /etc/aliases doesn’t contain anything weird

7. adding -vv verbose flag to local shows no useful (to me) information

I’m beating my head against the (virtual) wall.  Any ideas, suggestions, etc?

Re: local delivery failing after years of working

Wietse Venema
Steve Drach:
> I'm puzzled.  I've been running postfix for several years.  Around
> August of 2014 I moved to a new system and reinstalled postfix.
> It's been working fine until last monday when I stopped getting
> email.

What has changed? Does it co-incide with some automatic system update?

>  Here's what I know.
>
> 1. the logs, especially the local daemon, indicates the message is delivered

It should not be hard to find out where mail was delivered. Even
the non-verbose logging already says if it was delivered to mailbox,
delivered to maildir, delivered to command, delivered to file, and
so on.

> 2. my disk is only 10% full
>
> 3. mail to another user on my system is delivered without problem
>
> 4. my mail directory has same permissions as the user that gets mail, and both directories are owned by respective owners
>
> 5. if I put a .forward file in my home directory, mail is forwarded correctly
>
> 6. /etc/aliases doesn't contain anything weird
>
> 7. adding -vv verbose flag to local shows no useful (to me) information
>
> I'm beating my head against the (virtual) wall.  Any ideas, suggestions, etc?

How would we know what mistake you made, without concrete information
as requested in the mailing list welcome message:

Begin quote:

Thank you for using Postfix.

End quote.

Re: local delivery failing after years of working (OT)

A. Schulze

Steve Drach:

> 1. the logs, especially the local daemon, indicates the message is delivered

that question reminds me about a patch I wrote some months ago.
I had a host receiving tons of bcc and saving them to a maildir.

The challenge was to combine queue id and message files in the maildir.
I announced the trivial patch in July:
http://marc.info/?l=postfix-users&m=140735329729198

Wietse, do you think it could/should be included in a next release?

Andreas

Re: local delivery failing after years of working (OT)

Wietse Venema
A. Schulze:

> Steve Drach:
>
> > 1. the logs, especially the local daemon, indicates the message is delivered
>
> that question reminds me about a patch I wrote some months ago.
> I had a host receiving tons of bcc and saving them to a maildir.
>
> The challenge was to combine queue id and message files in the maildir.
> I announced the trivial patch in July:
> http://marc.info/?l=postfix-users&m=140735329729198
>
> Wietse, do you think it could/should be included in a next release?

What is wrong with matching the time of delivery with "ls -t"?
Remember that delivery status information can be sent to random
people with NOTIFY=SUCCESS.

Re: local delivery failing after years of working

Steve Drach
I realized that, when I said Postfix was creating the mailbox but not
putting anything in it, that it was actually Dovecot creating the
mailbox.  I turned off Dovecot and low and behold, Postfix is delivering
my mail just fine, Dovecot appears to be the culprit.

http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail

Re: local delivery failing after years of working (OT)

A. Schulze

wietse:

> What is wrong with matching the time of delivery with "ls -t"?
under pressure it's harder if you have 500 message files per minute.

> Remember that delivery status information can be sent to random
> people with NOTIFY=SUCCESS.
Oh, you're right! I wasn't aware of that point. Thanks!

Andreas