mail server migration

Pablo García-2
Hi, I have an old propietary mail server that I need to change it to postfix.
This software allow me to have both local and remote email accounts
(with a functionality similar to the relay_maps).
So I have local accounts ([hidden email]) that logs in for both
smtp auth and pop3/imap and I have these "remote" accounts,
that works like a "account gateway" and send mail to a ms exchange
server without modifying the recipient address ([hidden email] is
[hidden email] both in my mail server and in the ms exchange
server).
I've been reading howtos and bought the "Definitive Guide" book, but I
can't replicate the same behavior, I've got to be doing something
wrong. I just can't find out what. Additionally I have to support
alias and distribution lists to send to both local and remote acounts.

This is a schema of my set-up

                Internet

                MX Mail server
                __________________________
                |                    |
([hidden email] --> Local) ([hidden email] --> Exchange
([hidden email])

any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Pablo

Re: mail server migration

mouss-2
Pablo García wrote:

> Hi, I have an old propietary mail server that I need to change it to postfix.
> This software allow me to have both local and remote email accounts
> (with a functionality similar to the relay_maps).
> So I have local accounts ([hidden email]) that logs in for both
> smtp auth and pop3/imap and I have these "remote" accounts,
> that works like a "account gateway" and send mail to a ms exchange
> server without modifying the recipient address ([hidden email] is
> [hidden email] both in my mail server and in the ms exchange
> server).
> I've been reading howtos and bought the "Definitive Guide" book,

get the "book of postfix", otherwise how do you want me to et my beer?

> but I
> can't replicate the same behavior, I've got to be doing something
> wrong. I just can't find out what. Additionally I have to support
> alias and distribution lists to send to both local and remote acounts.
>
> This is a schema of my set-up
>
> Internet
> MX Mail server
> __________________________
> |                    |
> ([hidden email] --> Local) ([hidden email] --> Exchange
> ([hidden email])

your ascii art is better than my english, but what is your problem?

if it's a planning issue, just go on. and when you find a problem, check
the docs, and if it's not enough ask here. but then please follow

> any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards, Pablo

Re: mail server migration

Pablo García-2
Hi Mouss, The problem is that I can't get this scheme to work, right now, either I map all or some address to the exchange or setup local accounts. I can't do both for the same domain. Is this possible ?

On a Side, note, I try to buy the Book of Postfix, but since I'm in Latinamerica, my only choice was to buy a digital copy, and I coudn't find it anywhere in that format.

Regards, Pablo

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:00 PM, mouss <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pablo García wrote:
[...]

               |                                           |

Pablo García wrote:
> Hi Mouss, The problem is that I can't get this scheme to work, right now,
> either I map all or some address to the exchange or setup local accounts. I
> can't do both for the same domain. Is this possible ?

not clear what you exactly mean.
> On a Side, note, I try to buy the Book of Postfix, but since I'm in
> Latinamerica, my only choice was to buy a digital copy, and I coudn't find
> it anywhere in that format.

you can get a digital copy on p2p networks (that's illegal. so order a
copy before the police queues you :)

I'm sure you can get a paper version via amazon...