mailbox_transport and Cyrus

Janos Dohanics
Hello,

I'm setting up a server with Postfix and Cyrus with about 100 mailboxes
and modest expected traffic, about 1,000-2,000 messages per day.

The main.cf file offers the options:

mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
mailbox_transport = cyrus

Would you please explain the advantages/disadvantages of these choices?

Janos Dohanics

Re: mailbox_transport and Cyrus

Wietse Venema
Janos Dohanics:

> Hello,
>
> I'm setting up a server with Postfix and Cyrus with about 100 mailboxes
> and modest expected traffic, about 1,000-2,000 messages per day.
>
> The main.cf file offers the options:
>
> mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
> mailbox_transport = cyrus
>
> Would you please explain the advantages/disadvantages of these choices?

That depends on what is in the cyrus transport definition. If this
executes one program per delivery, then it will be slower than using
LMTP. On the other hand, using LMTP requires that Cyrus provides
an LMTP server. There should be comments in master.cf with an
example of doing that.

Re: mailbox_transport and Cyrus

Janos Dohanics
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 13:42:38 -0400 (EDT)
[hidden email] (Wietse Venema) wrote:

> Janos Dohanics:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm setting up a server with Postfix and Cyrus with about 100
> > mailboxes and modest expected traffic, about 1,000-2,000 messages
> > per day.
> >
> > The main.cf file offers the options:
> >
> > mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
> > mailbox_transport = cyrus
> >
> > Would you please explain the advantages/disadvantages of these
> > choices?
>
> That depends on what is in the cyrus transport definition. If this
> executes one program per delivery, then it will be slower than using
> LMTP. On the other hand, using LMTP requires that Cyrus provides
> an LMTP server. There should be comments in master.cf with an
> example of doing that.
>
> Wietse

Thank you; I'd still be interested to see specific use cases, if that's
appropriate for the list.

--
Janos Dohanics