maildir unread msg count: client .vs server

maildir unread msg count: client .vs server

johnea

Hello,

This isn't really a postfix specific issue, but I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

I'm trying to monitor per user unread msg count in a server side maildir based mail store.

I can see that the tmp/ and new/ dirs stay empty, so I tried to count unread emails with:

ls -1 /home/vmail/domain/user/.maildir/cur/ | grep ':2,$' | wc -l

Thus counting the number of filenames that end with :2, having no other flags appended.

However this is giving me a count that is less than the number of unread mail messages shown in the IMAP client (thunderbird).

Could anyone say why the server side count would be less than the number shown by the client?

Thank You!

johnea