mailing-list

Christophe Dumonet
Hello,
My mailing-list are created in /etc/aliases ( with each line as
mymailinglist:: include : /etc/mail/mymailinglist.file).
My problem : When users are in several mailing-list, and a mail is sent
To these several mailing-list, users received several time the same
mail, while the mail is uniq.
How to stop this ? how to say to postfix to sent a single mail for these
users ?
Thanks from france,
Christophe Dumonet.

Christophe Dumonet
Centre de Ressources Informatiques
Institut Francais de Mecanique Avancee (IFMA)
Campus des Cezeaux
BP 265
63175 AUBIERE Cedex
Tel : +33 - 4.73.28.80.64
Fax : +33 - 4.73.28.81.00
Mail : [hidden email]

Re: mailing-list

Jos Chrispijn
Christophe Dumonet wrote:
My problem : When users are in several mailing-list, and a mail is sent To these several mailing-list, users received several time the same mail, while the mail is uniq.
How to stop this ? how to say to postfix to sent a single mail for these users ?
As every mailinglist has it's own flow, that is exactly what a mailinglist does and is.
You just should not send identical messages to your mailinglists as they have their own flow.

-- floor

Re: mailing-list

Charles Marcus
On 5/26/2008, Christophe Dumonet ([hidden email]) wrote:
> How to stop this ? how to say to postfix to sent a single mail for these users ?

Use a real mail list server?

I like mailman, but there are others to choose from.

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: mailing-list

Jos Chrispijn
Charles Marcus wrote:
> Use a real mail list server?
I don't think that it will support that function as well. A mailinglist
is a autonomic list that is physically separated from other mailinglists.
Pls correct me if I am wrong...

--floor

Re: mailing-list

Sven Hoexter
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:06:03AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 5/26/2008, Christophe Dumonet ([hidden email]) wrote:
>> How to stop this ? how to say to postfix to sent a single mail for
>> these users ?
>
> Use a real mail list server?
>
> I like mailman, but there are others to choose from.

I don't think this would eliminate the problem of the OP.
If you're subscribed to list A, B and C and someone writes a mail to A, B and
C you'll receive it three times. Of course you can set yourself to nomail
for say list A and B but if someone now only writes the mail to A and B and
not C you'll receive no mail at all.

The only solution I can imagine would be to use procmail to delete the
dublicates on the client side.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world
Sleep in peace
   [The Cardigans - 03:45: No sleep]

Re: mailing-list

Charles Marcus
On 5/26/2008, Sven Hoexter ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I don't think this would eliminate the problem of the OP.
> If you're subscribed to list A, B and C and someone writes a mail to A, B and
> C you'll receive it three times. Of course you can set yourself to nomail
> for say list A and B but if someone now only writes the mail to A and B and
> not C you'll receive no mail at all.

The new mailman (2.1.10) has support for something called 'umbrella
lists', which will eliminate this problem.

There are other ways, and other lists I think have ways of dealing with
it...

So, yes, the current version of mailman will do this, and I'd be
surprised if other list servers didn't have similar features..

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: mailing-list

Thomas Porter-2
Ah thanks guys

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Charles Marcus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/26/2008, Sven Hoexter ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>
>> I don't think this would eliminate the problem of the OP.
>> If you're subscribed to list A, B and C and someone writes a mail to A, B
>> and
>> C you'll receive it three times. Of course you can set yourself to nomail
>> for say list A and B but if someone now only writes the mail to A and B
>> and
>> not C you'll receive no mail at all.
>
> The new mailman (2.1.10) has support for something called 'umbrella lists',
> which will eliminate this problem.
>
> There are other ways, and other lists I think have ways of dealing with
> it...
>
> So, yes, the current version of mailman will do this, and I'd be surprised
> if other list servers didn't have similar features..
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

Re: mailing-list

Christophe Dumonet wrote:
> Hello,
> My mailing-list are created in /etc/aliases ( with each line as
> mymailinglist:: include : /etc/mail/mymailinglist.file).
> My problem : When users are in several mailing-list, and a mail is
> sent To these several mailing-list, users received several time the
> same mail, while the mail is uniq.
> How to stop this ? how to say to postfix to sent a single mail for
> these users ?

use your MDA (maildrop for example) to eliminate duplicates (maildrop
uses Message-ID). of course, accept the risks.

Re: mailing-list

Christophe Dumonet
Thanks for your answers, so I have to install a list manager like
mailman, it's the only I know.
But situation is so complicated because of I have LDAP users with
virtual domain, I use this postfix feature to map local mailing-list in
file : http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#mailing_lists
So I'm going to do mailman configuration !
thanks to all,
Is there a serious alternative to mailman ?

Christophe Dumonet wrote:
> Is there a serious alternative to mailman ?
Have a look @ Majordomo
http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/

I myself use Minimalist
http://www.mml.org.ua