main.cf and postfix reload

PeterDaem
Hello everybody...

i have added a line like this:

recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc

to my main,.cf file and postfix has suddenly started trying to use it!!

i did NOT execute a "postfix" reload" !!! is this normal??????

Thanks!

David.

Re: main.cf and postfix reload

Noel Jones-2
On 3/3/2016 11:07 AM, Pedro David Marco wrote:

> Hello everybody...
>
> i have added a line like this:
>

> recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc
>

> to my main,.cf file and postfix has suddenly started trying to use it!!
>
> i did NOT execute a "postfix" reload" !!! is this normal??????
>
> Thanks!
>
> David.

Most of the postfix processes exit and restart periodically as part
of normal operation.  When a process restarts it will read the
current settings from main.cf and master.cf.
http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#max_use
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#max_idle

So yes, this is normal.

Re: main.cf and postfix reload

PeterDaem
Thanks a lot Noel!!

what you say makes sense but then i should have seen some "reload" or  "restart" messages in the log, right?? but there was not any indication! :-(

Thanks!

David.

 Subject: Re: main.cf and postfix reload
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Thursday, March 3, 2016, 6:29 PM

 On 3/3/2016 11:07 AM,
 Pedro David Marco wrote:
 > Hello everybody...
 >
 > i have added a line
 like this:

   -- Noel
 Jones

On 3/3/2016 12:06 PM, Pedro David Marco wrote:
> Thanks a lot Noel!!
>
> what you say makes sense but then i should have seen some "reload" or  "restart" messages in the log, right?? but there was not any indication! :-(
>
> Thanks!

The replacing of old processes with new processes during normal
operation is rarely of concern and not explicitly logged.

You can identify a new process by a change in the process ID
recorded in the log.

Re: main.cf and postfix reload

PeterDaem
Makes sense..

Thanks a lot Noel, i owe you a beer! :-)

 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Thursday, March 3, 2016, 7:38 PM

 On 3/3/2016 12:06 PM,
 Pedro David Marco wrote: