man cidr_table(5) enhancement

Scott Kitterman-4
I'm writing this as a result of a bug [1] filed by a Debian user that the
cidr_table man page wasn't completely clear about acceptable notation for
IPv6.  I find it's clear enough myself, but in light of the user confusion I
do think including an IPv6 address in the example might help.

Please see the attached trivial patch for consideration.  It uses the IETF
sanctioned example IPv6 addresses, because why not?

Scott K

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=832803

ipv6example.patch (371 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: man cidr_table(5) enhancement

Wietse Venema
Scott Kitterman:

> I'm writing this as a result of a bug [1] filed by a Debian user that the
> cidr_table man page wasn't completely clear about acceptable notation for
> IPv6.  I find it's clear enough myself, but in light of the user confusion I
> do think including an IPv6 address in the example might help.
>
> Please see the attached trivial patch for consideration.  It uses the IETF
> sanctioned example IPv6 addresses, because why not?
>
> Scott K
>

> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=832803

Just checking: is 2001:db8::/32 a non-routed network?

Re: man cidr_table(5) enhancement

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema:

> Scott Kitterman:
> > I'm writing this as a result of a bug [1] filed by a Debian user that the
> > cidr_table man page wasn't completely clear about acceptable notation for
> > IPv6.  I find it's clear enough myself, but in light of the user confusion I
> > do think including an IPv6 address in the example might help.
> >
> > Please see the attached trivial patch for consideration.  It uses the IETF
> > sanctioned example IPv6 addresses, because why not?
> >
> > Scott K
> >

> > [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=832803
>
> Just checking: is 2001:db8::/32 a non-routed network?

According to RFC 3849 it is reserved for documentation.

        Wietse