message_size_limit based on senders

Ramprasad-5
I have a client who has a global message_size_limit of 2MB :-)
But some senders need to be allowed unlimited ,

So I am thinking of doing some restriction at smtpd level like

-------
smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions =
       check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/company_bosses,
       message_size_limit = 2100000,
       permit

----------

This doesnt work ( predictably )

Is there a way out ??

I dont want to accept the mail and run a filter and then send NDR's.
(Lot of backscatter already )

Thanks
Ram

Re: message_size_limit based on senders

Ralf Hildebrandt
* ram <[hidden email]>:
> I have a client who has a global message_size_limit of 2MB :-)
> But some senders need to be allowed unlimited ,

Not possible.

> Is there a way out ??

Only with a seperate instance or a policy_daemon...

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
http://www.arschkrebs.de
I must confess, I was born at a very early age. - Groucho Marx

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 10:18 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * ram <[hidden email]>:
> > I have a client who has a global message_size_limit of 2MB :-)
> > But some senders need to be allowed unlimited ,
>
> Not possible.

Hmm too bad, ( I usually found postfix had answers to all my
conditions :-))

> > Is there a way out ??
>
> Only with a seperate instance or a policy_daemon...

separate instance , you mean on a different interface / port ? But in my
case I cant do that. Some priveleged senders are automated third party
scripts which cant be changed

How do I use a policy_daemon ? what will be the % extra resources
consumed if I use a policy daemon ?

Re: message_size_limit based on senders

/dev/rob0
> > * ram <[hidden email]>:
> > > I have a client who has a global message_size_limit of 2MB :-)
> > > But some senders need to be allowed unlimited ,

"Need" to send unlimited-sized mail is generally a misunderstood need.
Almost any file sharing protocol is more efficient than MIME+SMTP.
Consider using SMB/CIFS, NFS or Appletalk for internal file sharing,
FTP or HTTP for external.

Re: message_size_limit based on senders

Sahil Tandon
ram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a client who has a global message_size_limit of 2MB :-)
> But some senders need to be allowed unlimited ,
>
> So I am thinking of doing some restriction at smtpd level like

Run a policy daemon.  Postfwd (http://www.postfwd.org), for example.  Read
SMTPD_POLICY_README for information on the 'size' attribute value as it
pertains to SMTPD access policy requests.

> I dont want to accept the mail and run a filter and then send NDR's.
> (Lot of backscatter already )

A policy solution will (read: should) REJECT at SMTP and avoid generating
backscatter.

--
Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>