multiple instances of postfix

Mohammed Khalid Ansari

Hi,

Can I use multiple instances of postfix on the same host with different ports like 25 and 587?

I understand I can start one instance with port 25 and then change the port in master.cf and start another one. Will that be OK??? Has anyone tried that??

I don’t want to try on my host right now as it would be difficult for me to fix if something goes wrong.

Thanks & Regards,

Re: multiple instances of postfix

Viktor Dukhovni
On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 08:20:51PM +0400, Mohammed Khalid Ansari wrote:

> Can I use multiple instances of postfix on the same host with different
> ports like 25 and 587?

Each instance has its own master.cf file.  The "inet" entries in
that file, toghether with the inet_interfaces setting determine
which TCP listener endpoints are handled by that instance.

By default, newly created instances have all "inet" services disabled
via "master_service_disable".  After your master.cf file matches
your requirements, you can re-enable them and reload the instance.

> I understand I can start one instance with port 25 and then change the port
> in master.cf and start another one. Will that be OK??? Has anyone tried
> that??

Running multiple instances each with an appropriate master.cf is
the purpose of multi-instance support in Postfix.  All that you
need to do is to ensure that no instances attempt to bind the same
service IP:port combination (the wildcard IP address generally
conflicts with any explicit address on various operating systems).

> I don't want to try on my host right now as it would be difficult for me to
> fix if something goes wrong.

Just stop any unwanted instances, and revert any (usually minor)
changes to the configuration of the default instance.

Multiple instances are *easier* to work with than a single monolithic
system once your requirements get sufficiently complicated.

Re: multiple instances of postfix

Håkon Alstadheim
Check out postmulti(1) manual page. Part of postfix package, at least on
my debian system. This will let you have separate configurations
(including master.cf) started by a single init-script. This works quite
well, way better than making something similar manually.