multiple recipient_delimiters?

Andreas Schuldei-6
currently i have
recipient_delimiter = +

which i use for automatic mail filtering into different maildir
folder.

however, lots of websides dont know that a + in the address is a
valid character and dont allow it. They think the . is the
character to have in the local part of the email. arguing did not
change anything, so i would like to have both + and . as recipient_delimiters.

does that work?

Re: multiple recipient_delimiters?

Victor Duchovni
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:24:02PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> currently i have
> recipient_delimiter = +
>
> which i use for automatic mail filtering into different maildir
> folder.
>
> however, lots of websides dont know that a + in the address is a
> valid character and dont allow it. They think the . is the
> character to have in the local part of the email. arguing did not
> change anything, so i would like to have both + and . as recipient_delimiters.
>
> does that work?

No. Postfix supports only one recipient delimiter.

Re: multiple recipient_delimiters?

Wietse Venema
Victor Duchovni:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:24:02PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
>
> > currently i have
> > recipient_delimiter = +
> >
> > which i use for automatic mail filtering into different maildir
> > folder.
> >
> > however, lots of websides dont know that a + in the address is a
> > valid character and dont allow it. They think the . is the
> > character to have in the local part of the email. arguing did not
> > change anything, so i would like to have both + and . as recipient_delimiters.
> >
> > does that work?
>
> No. Postfix supports only one recipient delimiter.

You could replace . by + with a pcre-based virtual alias

    /^([^.@]+)\.([^@]+)@example\.com$/ $1+$[hidden email]

but this would unfortunately also match non-existent users,
and that would be a bad idea for servers facing the Internet.

So it's really practical only if you can hard-code the username

   /^wietse\.([^@]+)@example\.com$/ wietse+$[hidden email]

This limits the solution to small sites only.

        Wietse