multiple reverse DNS entries?

Cameron Camp-2
I'm building a list server with mailman/postfix and want to run
How should I set up the reverse DNS entry(ies) for the box, I only have
1 static IP, or will this cause problems if the Reverse DNS entries
aren't correct?
----
thx,
Cameron

Re: multiple reverse DNS entries?

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:28:10AM -0700, Cameron Camp wrote:

> I'm building a list server with mailman/postfix and want to run
> How should I set up the reverse DNS entry(ies) for the box, I only have
> 1 static IP, or will this cause problems if the Reverse DNS entries
> aren't correct?

You pick a primary name for the machine, possibly unrelated to any of
the domains. Create one PTR record for the IP that reflects the primary
host name. There is no expectation that the sending host's domain name
matches the domain name of envelope senders.

Cameron Camp wrote:
> I'm building a list server with mailman/postfix and want to run
> How should I set up the reverse DNS entry(ies) for the box, I only have
> 1 static IP, or will this cause problems if the Reverse DNS entries
> aren't correct?

The reverse DNS identifies the host, not the sender domains.

the easy way is to setup a single PTR for the IP, and setup a single A
for the PTR, which should yield the host IP.