mutt headers and postfix

Joerg Thuemmler
Hi,

im using postfix as mta for automatic mail sending out of our db. All db
users a logged in as the same (linux) user, as it's a terminal based
system. So a created mail has usually <db_user>@domain.tld from and
return-path headers. Of course that's not what I want, every db user
should have his own from/return-path. So I let mutt build own headers
(my_hdr From: ... and my_hdr Return-path:...)

Until now I was still on postfix 1.1.11 now changed to 2.5.5.6.7 (SuSEs
11.1. version).

Before this the From: and Return-path: were as I wanted, now I had to
set "use_from" in /etc/postfix/main.cf to "no" for the correct setting
of from and there's no way to prevent "my_hdr Return-path: ..." from
rewriting. Is there a way to reget my old method, some config command or
 other header field to set from which postfix uses the value to set
"Return-path".

I found some articles in the archives, but I didn't find out a solvation
for my problem.

Thx for any help

regards Joerg

Re: mutt headers and postfix

Noel Jones-2
Joerg Thuemmler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> im using postfix as mta for automatic mail sending out of our db. All db
> users a logged in as the same (linux) user, as it's a terminal based
> system. So a created mail has usually <db_user>@domain.tld from and
> return-path headers. Of course that's not what I want, every db user
> should have his own from/return-path. So I let mutt build own headers
> (my_hdr From: ... and my_hdr Return-path:...)
>
> Until now I was still on postfix 1.1.11 now changed to 2.5.5.6.7 (SuSEs
> 11.1. version).
>
> Before this the From: and Return-path: were as I wanted, now I had to
> set "use_from" in /etc/postfix/main.cf to "no" for the correct setting
> of from and there's no way to prevent "my_hdr Return-path: ..." from
> rewriting. Is there a way to reget my old method, some config command or
>  other header field to set from which postfix uses the value to set
> "Return-path".
>
> I found some articles in the archives, but I didn't find out a solvation
> for my problem.

Your question is unclear, so I'll give you some general
information.

The Return-path: header cannot be set directly, but is set by
controlling the envelope sender address.  This really should
be set by the sending application, but can be modified by postfix.

Postfix address rewriting controls are described in
http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

For further help, please see:

Re: mutt headers and postfix

Joerg Thuemmler
Noel Jones schrieb:

> Joerg Thuemmler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> im using postfix as mta for automatic mail sending out of our db. All db
>> users a logged in as the same (linux) user, as it's a terminal based
>> system. So a created mail has usually <db_user>@domain.tld from and
>> return-path headers. Of course that's not what I want, every db user
>> should have his own from/return-path. So I let mutt build own headers
>> (my_hdr From: ... and my_hdr Return-path:...)
>>
>> Until now I was still on postfix 1.1.11 now changed to 2.5.5.6.7 (SuSEs
>> 11.1. version).
>>
>> Before this the From: and Return-path: were as I wanted, now I had to
>> set "use_from" in /etc/postfix/main.cf to "no" for the correct setting
>> of from and there's no way to prevent "my_hdr Return-path: ..." from
>> rewriting. Is there a way to reget my old method, some config command or
>>  other header field to set from which postfix uses the value to set
>> "Return-path".
>>
>> I found some articles in the archives, but I didn't find out a solvation
>> for my problem.
>>

> Your question is unclear, so I'll give you some general information.
>
> The Return-path: header cannot be set directly, but is set by
> controlling the envelope sender address.  This really should be set by
> the sending application, but can be modified by postfix.
>
> Postfix address rewriting controls are described in
> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
>
> For further help, please see:
> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
>

>   -- Noel Jones

Noel,

thanks for your reply. It was my guilt to blame postfix for what was
mutt's work... (I felt right because postfix earlier damaged my
From:-header until I set use_from to no).

In the case of Return-Path I had to set a mutt switch (set
envelope_from="yes") because the "sendmail -f"-switch was ignored as
well as the "my_hdr Return-path:" and "my_hdr envelope-from" settings in
.muttrc.

The  set envelope_from="yes"  switch lets mutt set envelope_from:-header
to the value of the From:-header, what's exactly what I wanted. Now I
can every db user give his own .muttrc, which does the trick.

thx & regards

joerg