myhostname parameter

Alexander Vinogradov

I have gateway for incoming mail with postfix and ms exchange as final destination and outgoing smtp server.

Exchange server are running with FQDN relay.domain.tld. This name is in the DNS as a single mx record of our zone.

Can I set “myhostname” parameter with the same FQDN so as do not get mail loop errors.

For example in main.cf:

myhostname = mx.internaldomain.com

and in master.cf:

smtp     inet        n             -              n             -              20           smtpd

                -o myhostname=relay.domain.tld

p.s.

sorry for my English

Re: myhostname parameter

Wietse Venema
Alexander Vinogradov:
> I have gateway for incoming mail with postfix and ms exchange as final
> destination and outgoing smtp server.
>
> Exchange server are running with FQDN relay.domain.tld. This name is in
> the DNS as a single mx record of our zone.
>
> Can I set "myhostname" parameter with the same FQDN so as do not get
> mail loop errors.

The Postfix SMTP CLIENT will not DELIVER mail to remote SMTP SERVERS
that announce the same MTA hostname in the SMTP handshake.

You can tweak -o options in master.cf but this removes an important
safety mechanism against mail server meltdown.

        Wietse