myhostname

Brandon Aubie-2
In main.cf I have myhostname = srv1
My server is behind a router.

This has worked fine for a while, but I have found a server I cannot
send mail to.  When I do, I get this bounce back:

=======
This is the mail system at host srv1.

The mail system

<[hidden email]>: host axstony01.swifthorsman.co.uk[217.158.152.98]
said: 504 <srv1>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname (in
reply to RCPT TO command)
========

I am trying to send from [hidden email] so I changed
myhostname to mysportsite.com but then I couldn't receive any emails
to [hidden email] (they would bounce back to senders saying
that the virtual address didn't exist).

Any ideas??

Thanks

Re: myhostname

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Brandon Aubie wrote:

> In main.cf I have myhostname = srv1
> My server is behind a router.
>
> This has worked fine for a while, but I have found a server I cannot
> send mail to.  When I do, I get this bounce back:
>
> =======
> This is the mail system at host srv1.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
> The mail system
>
> <[hidden email]>: host axstony01.swifthorsman.co.uk[217.158.152.98]
> said: 504 <srv1>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname (in
> reply to RCPT TO command)
> ========
>
> I am trying to send from [hidden email] so I changed
> myhostname to mysportsite.com but then I couldn't receive any emails
> to [hidden email] (they would bounce back to senders saying
> that the virtual address didn't exist).
>
> Any ideas??

Please post your 'postconf -n'.   There is too little information to guess.
Also see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail for other hints

Brian

Re: myhostname

Mark Goodge

Brandon Aubie wrote:

> In main.cf I have myhostname = srv1
> My server is behind a router.
>
> This has worked fine for a while, but I have found a server I cannot
> send mail to.  When I do, I get this bounce back:
>
> =======
> This is the mail system at host srv1.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
> The mail system
>
> <[hidden email]>: host axstony01.swifthorsman.co.uk[217.158.152.98]
> said: 504 <srv1>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname (in
> reply to RCPT TO command)
> ========

That's a fairly common anti-spam check.

> I am trying to send from [hidden email] so I changed
> myhostname to mysportsite.com but then I couldn't receive any emails
> to [hidden email] (they would bounce back to senders saying
> that the virtual address didn't exist).
>
> Any ideas??

Unless you have a reason to change it, you can usually omit myhostname
and allow Postfix to use the default.

If you do change it, it should be set to a valid fully qualified
hostname of the server in the form of 'host.domain.tld'[1]. In your
case, 'axstony01.swifthorsman.co.uk' would be an acceptable value as
that's what's in the reverse DNS. Or, you could use something like
'mail.swifthorsman.co.uk', or 'svr1.swifthorsman.co.uk', if you prefer.

[1] Documented at http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

Mark
http://mark.goodge.co.uk - my pointless blog
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk - my less pointless stuff

Re: myhostname

Brandon Aubie wrote:
> In main.cf I have myhostname = srv1

myhostname should be a fully qualified domain name (fqdn). for instance:

myhostname = srv1.example.com