myorigin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

myorigin

Tobias Köck
Hi,

I have setup

myorigin=mydomain.de

but if I send an email with MUTT emai client or with 'echo "test" |
mail' [hidden email] I get as email source

[hidden email] (the name of the mailserver).

For testing I have added the mydomain.de to the mydestination and the mx
entry is set up right.

I am wondering why the source email adresse is still not
'[hidden email]' but instead '[hidden email]'?

Greetings
Tobias
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: myorigin

Wietse Venema
Tobias K?ck:

> Hi,
>
> I have setup
>
> myorigin=mydomain.de
>
> but if I send an email with MUTT emai client or with 'echo "test" |
> mail' [hidden email] I get as email source
>
> [hidden email] (the name of the mailserver).

What is the output from:

        $ postconf myorigin

If that is really mydomain.de, then mutt is giving Postfix
the wrong sender address, and you need to configure mutt.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: myorigin

Tobias Köck
Hi> $ postconf myorigin
>
> If that is really mydomain.de, then mutt is giving Postfix
> the wrong sender address, and you need to configure mutt.
Yes it's really mydomain.de. I was testing the mail command additioinaly
of mutt to verify.

Is there another internal testing possiblity to send an internal mail
from Postfix to verify the myorigin setting?

Greetings
Tobias
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: myorigin

Tobias Köck
In reply to this post by Wietse Venema
I found the reason why

Debian uses a file named /etc/mailname

https://wiki.debian.org/EtcMailName

If this file is set with another name it seems to be the case that
Postfix uses this file even if I have explicitely overwritten the

myorigin

with another value.

I'm still a little bit confused how that works out but that seems to be
the case.

Greetings
Tobias

On 7/18/19 5:12 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Tobias K?ck:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have setup
>>
>> myorigin=mydomain.de
>>
>> but if I send an email with MUTT emai client or with 'echo "test" |
>> mail' [hidden email] I get as email source
>>
>> [hidden email] (the name of the mailserver).
>
> What is the output from:
>
> $ postconf myorigin
>
> If that is really mydomain.de, then mutt is giving Postfix
> the wrong sender address, and you need to configure mutt.
>
> Wietse
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: myorigin

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 18.07.19 18:44, Tobias Köck wrote:

>I found the reason why
>
>Debian uses a file named /etc/mailname
>
>https://wiki.debian.org/EtcMailName
>
>If this file is set with another name it seems to be the case that
>Postfix uses this file even if I have explicitely overwritten the
>
>myorigin
>
>with another value.
>
>I'm still a little bit confused how that works out but that seems to
>be the case.

postfix appends myorigin only if the domain is not present
(and if append_at_myorigin is yes, but it's the default)

if mutt provides  domain, postfix does not add it.
if you look at logs, you may see that domain was provided by sending agent.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: myorigin

Tobias Köck
> postfix appends myorigin only if the domain is not present
> (and if append_at_myorigin is yes, but it's the default)
Interesting. I haven't seen this depencendy. Where can I find it (in the
documentation)?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: myorigin

Ralph Seichter-2
In reply to this post by Tobias Köck
* Tobias Köck:

> I am wondering why the source email adresse is still not
> '[hidden email]' but instead '[hidden email]'?

Postfix settings aside, Mutt can be configured to generate specific
sender addresses:

  # Your .muttrc
  set hostname=somehost.example.com
  set hidden_host=yes

According to the man page, 'hidden_host' defaults to no.

-Ralph