Quantcast

new installation questions

Rajesh M
hi

i have been using qmail  (qmailtoaster) for the past several years and would like to use postfix for my new server

my os is centos6 -- 64 bit

my servers are hexcore processors, 16 gb ram
os - raid1 -- 600 gb 15k rpm
data - raid1 -- 2000 gb 7.2k rpm

i have a traffic of around 60k delivered emails per day per server

my current qmail install includes qmail (Maildir format), maildrop, vopmail (for managing users), qmailadmin (web interface for creation / modification /deletion of users, forwarding, auto-response and mailing list management) , spamassassin, mysql, dovecot pop3 and imap, SSL/TLS and STARTTLS for smtp/pop3/imap and squirrelmail for webmail. I also use email sending / receiving policy and email archival of every email sent and recd per user.

on postfix i would like to have a similar setup as above with a fairy simple way to migrate user mailbox data, which OS is preferred (though i am using centos6 i dont mind changing) and also what partition format would be stable and faster than ext4.

could you please let me know where to start please, links to url which apply to current postfix packages and also add-on software, with some information on specific steps where i need to take care.

thanks
rajesh

Re: new installation questions

Philip Paeps
On 2017-04-16 12:52:51 (+0530), Rajesh M <[hidden email]> wrote:

>i have been using qmail  (qmailtoaster) for the past several years and
>would like to use postfix for my new server
>
>my os is centos6 -- 64 bit
>
>my servers are hexcore processors, 16 gb ram
>os - raid1 -- 600 gb 15k rpm
>data - raid1 -- 2000 gb 7.2k rpm
>
>i have a traffic of around 60k delivered emails per day per server
>
>my current qmail install includes qmail (Maildir format), maildrop,
>vopmail (for managing users), qmailadmin (web interface for creation /
>modification /deletion of users, forwarding, auto-response and mailing
>list management) , spamassassin, mysql, dovecot pop3 and imap, SSL/TLS
>and STARTTLS for smtp/pop3/imap and squirrelmail for webmail. I also
>use email sending / receiving policy and email archival of every email
>sent and recd per user.
>
>on postfix i would like to have a similar setup as above with a fairy
>simple way to migrate user mailbox data, which OS is preferred (though
>i am using centos6 i dont mind changing) and also what partition format
>would be stable and faster than ext4.
>
>could you please let me know where to start please, links to url which
>apply to current postfix packages and also add-on software, with some
>information on specific steps where i need to take care.

I would definitely recommend FreeBSD if you're not married to Linux.
It's a lot more predictable (no systemd farce).  Progress is made at a
steady pace, without surprises.  Just like Postfix.  The FreeBSD port of
Postfix follows Wietse's releases quite closely and ships without
gratuitous changes to the default settings.

If you ``pkg install postfix`` on FreeBSD you'll get a pristine Postfix
installation with defaults as documented by Postfix.

For filesystems: I cannot recommend ZFS strongly enough.  For a busy
mailspool, you really want to add SSD log devices to your pool though.
If you can't use ZFS for whatever reason, UFS works well for Postfix
too.  For mail storage, the builtin lz4 compression of ZFS performs
incredibly well.

Postfix supports Maildir so you probabably will not need to migrate your
user mailboxes.  If you add a '/' at the end of ``mail_spool_directory``
or ``home_mailbox``, Postfix local(8) will deliver Maildir-style.

You can probably keep using your MySQL database from qmail largely
unchanged.  The [MYSQL_README](http://www.postfix.org/MYSQL_README.html)
documents the configuration very well.  Dovecot works well with Postfix
too, so do SpamAssassin and maildrop and everything else you're likely
to need.

Postfix comes with incredibly thorough documentation.  You'll have to
ask more specific questions on this list if you run into difficulties.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer