new installation

mohamd tellawi

hello guys

this my first time with postfix , and my first time ever to setup a mail server...:)

My Info:

1- i have a local network with small number of users, and we have a domain hosted and
    reserved by a domain services company.
2- and we have our [hidden email]
3- our mail server is mail.ourdomain.net

My Target:

1- i want to setup a mail server useing postfix that could download our emails.
2- in my user application at the network clients i want to setup my postfix server
    address instead of the original mail server address so i can download the messages from it.

I have searched around looking for a step by step how-to or tutorial but didnt find any
i have red the start guid readme file and i understand all of the prameters but i dont know whats next.

i hope u understand what i want guys, any help will be appreciated

thanks
m.tellawi

Re: new installation

Sahil Tandon
* mohamd tellawi <[hidden email]> [05-18-2008]:

> hello guys this my first time with postfix , and my first time ever to
> setup a mail server...:)My Info: 1- i have a local network with small
> number of users, and we have a domain hosted and    reserved by a domain
> services company.2- and we have our emails@ourdomain.net3- our mail server
> is mail.ourdomain.net My Target: 1- i want to setup a mail server useing
> postfix that could download our emails.2- in my user application at the
> network clients i want to setup my postfix server    address instead of the
> original mail server address so i can download the messages from it. I have
> searched around looking for a step by step how-to or tutorial but didnt
> find anyi have red the start guid readme file and i understand all of the
> prameters but i dont know whats next.  i hope u understand what i want
> guys, any help will be appreciated thanks m.tellawi

I do not really understand your question(s).  But it sounds like you just
need fetchmail if mail.ourdomain.net is an IMAP (*NOT* SMTP) server from
which you want to download emails.

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

RE: new installation

mohamd tellawi

this is what i have so far:

main.cf

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = office
mydomain = mb-pc.net
myorigin = $myhostname
inet_interfaces = all
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
relay_domains = $mydestination
relayhost = mail.$mydomain
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = no
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man

Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 15:13:57 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: new installation

mohamd tellawi wrote:
I have searched around looking for a step by step how-to or tutorial but didnt find any
i have red the start guid readme file and i understand all of the prameters but i dont know whats next.
Did you allready look at
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Can you show us what you have so far?
Jos

RE: new installation

mohamd tellawi

i put this address in my outlook as an smtp and pop3
mail.ourdomain.net

my question is how to replace that address with my local server address that i want to make it as a mail server,
what do i need to do and packages need to be install beside postfix ,if postfix is a seccesor with what i want to do ?

thank u all for ur replies

> Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:43:25 -0400

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: new installation
>
> * mohamd tellawi <[hidden email]> [05-18-2008]:
>
> > hello guys this my first time with postfix , and my first time ever to
> > setup a mail server...:)My Info: 1- i have a local network with small
> > number of users, and we have a domain hosted and reserved by a domain
> > services company.2- and we have our emails@ourdomain.net3- our mail server
> > is mail.ourdomain.net My Target: 1- i want to setup a mail server useing
> > postfix that could download our emails.2- in my user application at the
> > network clients i want to setup my postfix server address instead of the
> > original mail server address so i can download the messages from it. I have
> > searched around look ing for a step by step how-to or tutorial but didnt
> > find anyi have red the start guid readme file and i understand all of the
> > prameters but i dont know whats next. i hope u understand what i want
> > guys, any help will be appreciated thanks m.tellawi
>
> I do not really understand your question(s). But it sounds like you just
> need fetchmail if mail.ourdomain.net is an IMAP (*NOT* SMTP) server from
> which you want to download emails.
>
> --
> Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

Re: new installation

David Duong-4
mohamd tellawi wrote:

> this is what i have so far:
>
> main.cf
>
> queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
> command_directory = /usr/sbin
> daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
> mail_owner = postfix
> myhostname = office
> mydomain = mb-pc.net
> myorigin = $myhostname
> inet_interfaces = all
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
> mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
> relay_domains = $mydestination
> relayhost = mail.$mydomain
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> debug_peer_level = 2
> debugger_command =
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
> xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
> mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
> setgid_group = postdrop
> html_directory = no
> manpage_directory = /usr/share/man

>     Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 15:13:57 +0200
>     From: [hidden email]
>     To: [hidden email]
>     Subject: Re: new installation
>
>     mohamd tellawi wrote:
>
>         I have searched around looking for a step by step how-to or
>         tutorial but didnt find any
>         i have red the start guid readme file and i understand all of
>         the prameters but i dont know whats next.
>
>     Did you allready look at
>     http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
>
>     Can you show us what you have so far?
>     Jos

> <http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/>

Hello,

If you are looking for tutorials, this is the one I use to use.

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-domains-postfix-courier-mysql-squirrelmail-ubuntu8.04

It should help you out

RE: new installation

mohamd tellawi

thank u so much for ur reply

that link was perfect , thats all i asked for i didnt ask for more .

thanks a lot again