no bounce if destination of transport_map not available

no bounce if destination of transport_map not available

list-user

Hi,

i hope someone can help me with my problem.

I setup a transport_map on my front smtp server for some email addresses like

[hidden email]  smtp:domain.de

I am also the maintainer of domain.de. Other email addresses of domain.de are hosted on the front smtp server.

If i power down the machine which hosts domain.de, the front server get's a 550 error and bounces the mails for [hidden email].

Is there a way to just queue them for some time until the destination server is up again?

Thanks

Re: no bounce if destination of transport_map not available

Noel Jones-2
C. V. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i hope someone can help me with my problem.
>
> I setup a transport_map on my front smtp server for some email addresses like
>
> [hidden email]  smtp:domain.de
>
> I am also the maintainer of domain.de. Other email addresses of domain.de are hosted on the front smtp server.
>
> If i power down the machine which hosts domain.de, the front server get's a 550 error and bounces the mails for [hidden email].
>
> Is there a way to just queue them for some time until the destination server is up again?
>
> Thanks

The default behavior of postfix is to queue mail if the
destination is unreachable.  Maybe some other host is
responding for your domain (the backup MX or fallback_relay?)
or maximal_queue_lifetime is set unreasonably short.

Very likely the answer is in the log entry.

If you need more help, show us "postconf -n" and the full log
entry demonstrating the problem.

Noel Jones