no helo

Antanas Kneita
Hello,

i have a problem with my postfix. It doesn't send HELO when the
hostname is set to a real FQDN name (A and PTR records are done). If i
change the hostname or smtp_helo_name to something that is not my
original FQDN, then it sends the HELO.

Thanks in advance

Re: no helo

Wietse Venema
Antanas Kneita:
> Hello,
>
> i have a problem with my postfix. It doesn't send HELO when the
> hostname is set to a real FQDN name (A and PTR records are done). If i
> change the hostname or smtp_helo_name to something that is not my
> original FQDN, then it sends the HELO.

Please report the ERROR MESSAGES in the maillog file.

Please report "postconf -n" command output.

Please read the mailing list welcome message.

Thank you for using Postfix.

Re: no helo

Antanas Kneita:
> The thing is that there is no error message and the email is delivered
> to the servers that do not require HELO. If the server requires HELO
> the error is:
> 550 Forged host name (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Please show evidence that Postfix sends no HELO or EHLO command.

For example:

- A network-level recording of an SMTP session.

- Verbose logging by the Postfix SMTP client itself, after you add
the remote SMTP server's IP address to the main.cf:debug_peer_list
parameter (type "postfix reload" to avoid having to wait until the
change takes effect). This verbose logging contains among others
the SMTP client commands and the SMTP server responses.

Re: no helo

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 09:59:21AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> > to the servers that do not require HELO. If the server requires HELO
> > the error is:
> > 550 Forged host name (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>
> Please show evidence that Postfix sends no HELO or EHLO command.

The question is of course rhetorical. The OP will not find any such
evidence. The Postfix SMTP client *always* sends "HELO/EHLO" at
the start of each SMTP session.