ot: individual sender email verification on inbound ?

ot: individual sender email verification on inbound ?

lists-3

I have some web generated emails being sent as 'apache@' [as the default
web user]

now, an isp appears to be doing a user lookup as below and bounces emails,
claiming this server is mis-configured:

is there any requirement on me having an 'apache@' address if I'm sending
emails as such ?

TIA,
--
Voytek

Jul 28 20:40:47 bilby postfix/smtp[7850]: D4DFEB448D6:
to=<[hidden email]>, orig_to=<[hidden email]>,
relay=neptune.acenet.com.au[203.189.80.75]:25, delay=23,
delays=0.11/0.07/0.12/22,
dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host neptune.acenet.com.au[203.189.80.75] said:
550-Verification failed for <[hidden email]> 550-Called:   116.197.145.51
550-Sent:     RCPT TO:<[hidden email]> 550-Response: 550 5.1.1
<[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual
mailbox table 550-Failed sender verify, if you believe this user is not a
spammer and they 550-simply have a badly configured mailserver, contact
ace to get an exeption 550 made (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Re: ot: individual sender email verification on inbound ?

lst_hoe02
Zitat von Voytek Eymont <[hidden email]>:

> I have some web generated emails being sent as 'apache@' [as the default
> web user]
>
> now, an isp appears to be doing a user lookup as below and bounces emails,
> claiming this server is mis-configured:
>
> is there any requirement on me having an 'apache@' address if I'm sending
> emails as such ?

It is common to not send mail with an invalid sender address as this
is considered spam most of the time. If you don't care about potential
bounces of your mail, your mail can not be considered valueable at all.
So, yes use a valid sender address or you will get more and more rejects.

Regards

Andreas

--
All your trash belong to us ;-)  www.spamschlucker.org
To: [hidden email]

Re: ot: individual sender email verification on inbound ?

Robert Schetterer
Voytek Eymont schrieb:

> I have some web generated emails being sent as 'apache@' [as the default
> web user]
>
> now, an isp appears to be doing a user lookup as below and bounces emails,
> claiming this server is mis-configured:
>
> is there any requirement on me having an 'apache@' address if I'm sending
> emails as such ?
>
> TIA,

Hi,
sender verification is evil ,in most cases ( there are setups where it
makes sense, like backup mx, if you control all mailservers), as it produces
a lot of unneeded smtp traffic ( its kind of backscatter , which many
faked maildomains have to fight with, so this isp does simply wrong, in
my mind ), if a host has an A dns entry
its ok ( and typical )that it sends mail from like i.e.
[hidden email] , this account must not recieve mails, but if
you want to make sure
that most verification works rewrite it to i.e [hidden email]
on the outgoing smtp server
( which should a smtp reachable mailbox), you will recieve
bounces then too, which is helpfull for spam script analysis, and broken
addresses,
additional you may use spf and dkim.
Another solution is not to use the local sendmail ( or whatever) on the
webserver instead use i.e SendEmail perl script
http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/
if youre allowed to have perl on your webserver
so with SendEmail the mailserver is choosable
and you can use your own mailserver for deliver out mail,
which should be helpfull in verification stuff.
Perhaps others will give you more help about this problem too

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria

Voytek Eymont wrote:
> I have some web generated emails being sent as 'apache@' [as the default
> web user]
>
> now, an isp appears to be doing a user lookup as below and bounces emails,
> claiming this server is mis-configured:
>
> is there any requirement on me having an 'apache@' address if I'm sending
> emails as such ?

If we can't reach them, they can't reach us. "them" includes sender
addresses.

Use valid and reachable addresses in the envelope and in headers.

You can use the -f flag to sendmail to set the sender.