postfix 2.3.x vs postfix 2.6 stable

Eero Volotinen-2
I am currently using postfix 2.3.x on RHEL for mail proxy and mailserver.

Is there any good reason to update to 2.6 ? and if is, is there any good
and stable rpm repositories for RHEL 5 on web ?

Eero

Re: postfix 2.3.x vs postfix 2.6 stable

Wietse Venema
Eero Volotinen:
> I am currently using postfix 2.3.x on RHEL for mail proxy and mailserver.
>
> Is there any good reason to update to 2.6 ? and if is, is there any good
> and stable rpm repositories for RHEL 5 on web ?

You can use Postfix 2.3 until one of the following happens:

1) You need something that was added in Postfix 2.4 or later.

2) Support for Postfix 2.3 ends. That happens when back-porting
fixes from later releases becomes too problematic. I still have
a few fixes for 2.3 (back-ported from 2.7) in the pipeline.

Re: postfix 2.3.x vs postfix 2.6 stable

Zhang Huangbin

On Oct 10, 2009, at 2:55 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> I am currently using postfix 2.3.x on RHEL for mail proxy and
> mailserver.
>
> Is there any good reason to update to 2.6 ? and if is, is there any
> good and stable rpm repositories for RHEL 5 on web ?

As i know, postfix-2.3.x which shipped in RHEL/CentOS doesn't support
'receive_override_options=no_address_mappings'. You have to update to
2.3.14 or newer version.

--
Best Regards.

Zhang Huangbin

- Open Source Mail Server Solution for Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux,
   CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu: http://www.iredmail.org/

Re: postfix 2.3.x vs postfix 2.6 stable

Mikael Bak
Zhang Huangbin wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2009, at 2:55 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>
>> I am currently using postfix 2.3.x on RHEL for mail proxy and mailserver.
>>
>> Is there any good reason to update to 2.6 ? and if is, is there any
>> good and stable rpm repositories for RHEL 5 on web ?
>
> As i know, postfix-2.3.x which shipped in RHEL/CentOS doesn't support
> 'receive_override_options=no_address_mappings'. You have to update to
> 2.3.14 or newer version.

Perhaps you can try these:
ftp://mirror.newnanutilities.org/pub/postfix-rpm/official/2.6/

HTH,
Mikael

Re: postfix 2.3.x vs postfix 2.6 stable

Zhang Huangbin:

> On Oct 10, 2009, at 2:55 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>
> > I am currently using postfix 2.3.x on RHEL for mail proxy and
> > mailserver.
> >
> > Is there any good reason to update to 2.6 ? and if is, is there any
> > good and stable rpm repositories for RHEL 5 on web ?
>
> As i know, postfix-2.3.x which shipped in RHEL/CentOS doesn't support
> 'receive_override_options=no_address_mappings'. You have to update to
> 2.3.14 or newer version.

postfix-2.1.0 supports "receive_override_options = no_address_mappings".

Zhang Huangbin kirjoitti:

> On Oct 10, 2009, at 2:55 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>
>> I am currently using postfix 2.3.x on RHEL for mail proxy and mailserver.
>>
>> Is there any good reason to update to 2.6 ? and if is, is there any
>> good and stable rpm repositories for RHEL 5 on web ?
>
> As i know, postfix-2.3.x which shipped in RHEL/CentOS doesn't support
> 'receive_override_options=no_address_mappings'. You have to update to
> 2.3.14 or newer version.

Anyway, looks like there is not much advantage to gain to upgrade to 2.6
in my non-advanced mailsystem (only one domain, spamfiltering, no
database in use, no virtual users.)

thanks anyway.

--
Eero