postfix and amavisd-new on CentOS

David Mehler
Hello,
        I'm trying to get amavisd-new and postfix working on CentOS5. I've
got postfix installed and working fine. I've got amavisd installed and
working fine, or so i think, no warnings in the logs no syntax errors. When
i uncomment the content_filter option in main.cf the system stops delivering
mail. Postfix delivers messages to amavisd which processes them, and passes
the result to virtual(8) i'm using virtual mailbox domains and here's where
the failure occurs. Instead of going to [hidden email] the original
destination virtual is atempting to deliver to [hidden email] which is
a nonexistent virtual mailbox domain user, and the message bounces. This
machine is also running a mailman mailing list, which is also working fine.
        Suggestions welcome, i'd send something but i'm not sure where this
problem is, comment out content_filter, restart postfix and all is well.
Thanks.
Dave.

Re: postfix and amavisd-new on CentOS

Noel Jones-2
Dave wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to get amavisd-new and postfix working on CentOS5. I've
> got postfix installed and working fine. I've got amavisd installed and
> working fine, or so i think, no warnings in the logs no syntax errors. When
> i uncomment the content_filter option in main.cf the system stops delivering
> mail. Postfix delivers messages to amavisd which processes them, and passes
> the result to virtual(8) i'm using virtual mailbox domains and here's where
> the failure occurs. Instead of going to [hidden email] the original
> destination virtual is atempting to deliver to [hidden email] which is
> a nonexistent virtual mailbox domain user, and the message bounces. This
> machine is also running a mailman mailing list, which is also working fine.
> Suggestions welcome, i'd send something but i'm not sure where this
> problem is, comment out content_filter, restart postfix and all is well.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Please show
- postconf -n output
- modifications you've made to master.cf
- unaltered logs demonstrating the problem - show logs of both
before and after the content_filter.  If you must hide private
information in the logs, do so in a coherent manner.

And be sure to press the gmail "plain text" button when you
send that information, else it will be unreadable.

RE: postfix and amavisd-new on CentOS

David Mehler
Hi,
        Thanks for your reply.  I have solved the problem. I commented out
receive_override_options in main.cf and that did it.
Thanks.
Dave.

> I'm trying to get amavisd-new and postfix working on CentOS5. I've
> got postfix installed and working fine. I've got amavisd installed and
> working fine, or so i think, no warnings in the logs no syntax errors.
> When i uncomment the content_filter option in main.cf the system stops
> delivering mail. Postfix delivers messages to amavisd which processes
> them, and passes the result to virtual(8) i'm using virtual mailbox
> domains and here's where the failure occurs. Instead of going to
> [hidden email] the original destination virtual is atempting to
> deliver to [hidden email] which is a nonexistent virtual mailbox
> domain user, and the message bounces. This machine is also running a
mailman mailing list, which is also working fine.
> Suggestions welcome, i'd send something but i'm not sure where this
> problem is, comment out content_filter, restart postfix and all is well.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Please show
- postconf -n output
- modifications you've made to master.cf
- unaltered logs demonstrating the problem - show logs of both before and
after the content_filter.  If you must hide private information in the logs,
do so in a coherent manner.

And be sure to press the gmail "plain text" button when you send that
information, else it will be unreadable.

RE: postfix and amavisd-new on CentOS

d.hill
Quoting Dave <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply.  I have solved the problem. I commented out
> receive_override_options in main.cf and that did it.

By default, that option is set to an empty value:

     %postconf -d | grep receive_override_options
     receive_override_options =

Postfix documentation shows this:

     http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#receive_override_options

Your Postfix install appears to be using a non-standerd install.

Blake Hudson
"receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks" is an often recommended amavis optimization that can be performed post content filter (so likely would not be in your main.cf and would instead be in your master.cf as an option to your post content filter smtpd).

What this option states is to not perform recipient checking in postfix when amavis is finished with the message and hands it back to postfix. This can safely be performed because postfix has presumably     validated the recipient before it accepted the message and gave it to amavis. This is only safe if you are sure that the downstream smtpd is only receiving messages from amavis - usually done by accepting only messages from localhost (or the IP of your amavis scanning host).

How this has any connection to your apparently remapped/aliased address is beyond me unless you have other options specified in your receive_override_options

--Blake