postfix and listserv mailing list question

postfix and listserv mailing list question

Bahram Paiani
Folks,

I have been running a listserv and sendmail installation in a Sun Solaris
environment for more than a decade. For some practical reasons I am
testing listserv in redhat environment with postfix. I have put the
following in my virtual file: /etc/postfix/virtual

[hidden email]             listserv
[hidden email]       owner-listserv
I also have the following in my /etc/alaises

# -- Aliases for LISTSERV server
listserv: "|/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin  /home/listserv/spool listserv"
owner-listserv: "|/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin  /home/listserv/spool
owner-listserv"
postfix maillog reports that mail deliverd to the command in the alias
file however, the mail get deposited to the listserv spool directory with
the following name and does not get delivered:

in48616b55-06a0d.joa

renaming the above file to "in48616b55-06a0d.job" causes the listserv
program to deliver the E-mail. listserv support suggests that postfix
might have something to do with this. Any thoughts?

By the way, the group for the file is changed from listserv to nobody:

-rw------- 1 listserv nobody     507 Jun 24 16:47 in48616b55-06a0d.joa

Thanks,

Bahram

Re: postfix and listserv mailing list question

mouss-2
Bahram Paiani wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have been running a listserv and sendmail installation in a Sun
> Solaris environment for more than a decade. For some practical reasons
> I am testing listserv in redhat environment with postfix. I have put
> the following in my virtual file: /etc/postfix/virtual
>
> [hidden email]             listserv
> [hidden email]       owner-listserv
> I also have the following in my /etc/alaises
>
> # -- Aliases for LISTSERV server
> listserv: "|/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin  /home/listserv/spool listserv"
> owner-listserv: "|/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin  /home/listserv/spool
> owner-listserv"

you need to show the output of 'postconf -n' if you want help. also show
relevant logs.

here, you use non fqdn addresses (no domain part). so these addresses
get "fixed" by postfix and receive an @$myorigin. if your $myorigin is a
local domain, you're ok. if it's not, surprise...

> postfix maillog reports that mail deliverd to the command in the alias
> file however, the mail get deposited to the listserv spool directory
> with the following name and does not get delivered:
>
> in48616b55-06a0d.joa
>
> renaming the above file to "in48616b55-06a0d.job" causes the listserv
> program to deliver the E-mail. listserv support suggests that postfix
> might have something to do with this. Any thoughts?

postfix doesn't care of the file name. if you manage to get it to work,
it will pass mail to the listserv command and that's it. the logs should
show whether postfix passes mail to this command or whether postfix
passes mail to seomthing else.