postfix check error and warning

DecebalICT
When I run:
    postfix check

I get:
    /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/post-install: Error: /etc/postfix/postfix-files is not a file.
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: unable to create missing queue directories

But as far as I can see postfix does what it should do.
I could ignore what is happening, but I do not like that.

I do not have a file:
    /etc/postfix/postfix-files

I do have an empty directory:
    /etc/postfix/postfix-files.d/

This is on Debian 9.7.

Cecil Westerhof

Re: postfix check error and warning

Wietse Venema
Cecil Westerhof:
> This is on Debian 9.7.

Ask the Debiam maintainer.

Postfix as distributed by me requires postfix-files for the pathnames
and permissions of most files.

postfix-files.d is for pcre, *sql*, ldap, etc. plugins.

Re: postfix check error and warning

Scott Kitterman-4
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 10:23:55 PM Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> When I run:
>     postfix check
>
> I get:
>     /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/post-install: Error: /etc/postfix/postfix-files
> is not a file.
>     postfix/postfix-script: warning: unable to create missing queue
> directories
>
> But as far as I can see postfix does what it should do.
> I could ignore what is happening, but I do not like that.
>
> I do not have a file:
>     /etc/postfix/postfix-files
>
> I do have an empty directory:
>     /etc/postfix/postfix-files.d/
>
> This is on Debian 9.7.

postfix-files is provided by the Debian package (and postfix check runs
without any errors on my Debian 9.7 system).  Making that finally work
correctly was one of my goals during the development of Debian Stretch (AKA
Debian 9).  Assuming you installed from distro packages, and not a source
build, you probably deleted it in error at some point.

The most reliable way to get it back is to purge and reinstall postfix, but
make sure you have backup copies of all your postfix config files first since
that would but things back to the distribution defaults (which includes
/etc/postfix/postfix-files).

Scott K

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 04:50:49 PM Wietse Venema wrote:
> Cecil Westerhof:
> > This is on Debian 9.7.
>
> Ask the Debiam maintainer.
>
> Postfix as distributed by me requires postfix-files for the pathnames
> and permissions of most files.
>
> postfix-files.d is for pcre, *sql*, ldap, etc. plugins.

Answered.  I don't know what he did, but Debian is no longer screwing that up
by default.

Scott K

Re: postfix check error and warning

Glenn English-2
On 2/10/19 2:23 PM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

Buster

> When I run:
>     postfix check
>
> I get:
>     /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/post-install: Error:
> /etc/postfix/postfix-files is not a file.
>     postfix/postfix-script: warning: unable to create missing queue
> directories
>
> But as far as I can see postfix does what it should do.
> I could ignore what is happening, but I do not like that.

I get exactly the same thing on Buster.

And postfix seems to work here too, and I don't like errors I don't know
what to do about either...

Glenn English

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 03:16:04 PM ghe wrote:

> On 2/10/19 2:23 PM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
> Buster
>
> > When I run:
> >     postfix check
> >
> > I get:
> >     /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/post-install: Error:
> > /etc/postfix/postfix-files is not a file.
> >     postfix/postfix-script: warning: unable to create missing queue
> > directories
> >
> > But as far as I can see postfix does what it should do.
> > I could ignore what is happening, but I do not like that.
>
> I get exactly the same thing on Buster.
>
> And postfix seems to work here too, and I don't like errors I don't know
> what to do about either...

I also don't get the error there, so I'm not sure what to tell you either.

The package provides the file:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/postfix/filelist

Scott K

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 03:16:04PM -0700, ghe wrote:

> > When I run:
> >     postfix check
> >
> > I get:
> >     /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/post-install: Error:
> > /etc/postfix/postfix-files is not a file.
> >     postfix/postfix-script: warning: unable to create missing queue directories

Is this the correct setting os "meta_directory" for Debian?  Perhaps
the package is built with "meta_directory" != "/etc/postfix", but
the user's main.cf file has a different value?

Or the file is in fact deleted or a symlink.