postfix content_filter source address

Jimmy Stewpot
Hello,

I have recently done a deployment of Postfix 2.10. It seems that the behaviour of postfix has changed slightly in the way that it handles the content_filter variables in the configuration file. We are using content_filter to pass through the emails to Sophos PureMessage for UNIX like so.

content_filter = smtp:[127.0.0.1]:2500

On our old server (Redhat 5) when the content_filter line was in place the spam service would "just work" in that it would see the source and correctly process the emails as an external email.. However with the same version of Pure Message on a new version of Postfix we see that the system is seeing "localhost" as the from relay which means it goes through the localhost whitelist in the spam policy...

Am I missing something in the new version of postfix or is that expected behaviour?

Regards,

Jimmy.

Re: postfix content_filter source address

Stan Hoeppner
On 8/20/2013 1:04 AM, Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently done a deployment of Postfix 2.10. It seems that the behaviour of postfix has changed slightly in the way that it handles the content_filter variables in the configuration file. We are using content_filter to pass through the emails to Sophos PureMessage for UNIX like so.
>
> content_filter = smtp:[127.0.0.1]:2500

Is this the verbatim line you used on the RHEL5 box?

> On our old server (Redhat 5) when the content_filter line was in place the spam service would "just work" in that it would see the source and correctly process the emails as an external email.. However with the same version of Pure Message on a new version of Postfix we see that the system is seeing "localhost" as the from relay which means it goes through the localhost whitelist in the spam policy...

"seeing 'localhost' as the from relay"

What was seen previously where you now see "localhost"?

> Am I missing something in the new version of postfix or is that expected behaviour?

This is a fresh Postfix install not an upgrade, correct?  New
main/master.cf?  Parameters copy/pasted?  I'm guessing you simply missed
something when creating the new main/master.cf.  It would be nice to see
your 'postconf -n' output, and any service definitions that exist for
the Sophos program.

--
Stan

Re: postfix content_filter source address

Jimmy Stewpot:
> content_filter = smtp:[127.0.0.1]:2500
>
> [...] However with the same version of Pure Message on a new version
> of Postfix we see that the system is seeing "localhost" as the
> from relay which means it goes through the localhost whitelist in
> the spam policy...

On all systems that I know, a connection TO the loopback network
(127.0.0.1) will appear to come FROM the loopback network. Ditto
for other network interfaces. Same for Solaris, Linux, *BSD.

Maybe the change is in the HOSTNAME that your system reports for
127.0.0.1, for example some systems report localhost and other
systems report localhost.localdomain. That is an /etc/hosts issue.

This is easy enough to verify from the command line.

        Wietse