postfix docs re "SPF Support"?

jasonsu
Since pypolicyd-spf has been causing me lots of problems (upstream is helping on it at launchpad), I decided to look for a more reliable alternative just in case.

The Postfix Add-Ons page (http://www.postfix.org/addon.html) says

        Note: Postfix already ships with SPF support, in the form of a plug-in policy daemon. This is the preferred integration model, at least until SPF is mandated by standards.

Looking for that at

        Postfix feature overview
        http://www.postfix.org/features.html

        Main features
                Junk mail control
                        Postfix 2.1 SPF plug-in

Which takes you to

where the only mention of SPF is

        Another example of policy delegation is the SPF policy server at http://www.openspf.org/Software.

Visiting

        http://www.openspf.org/Software

re-points to

        This package has moved to https://launchpad.net/pypolicyd-spf/

which is obviously ADD-ON software.

Unless I missed it, neither openspf nor pypolicyd is even mentioned at http://www.postfix.org/addon.html.

This is a pretty confusing runaround through the docs :-(

IS pypolicyd-spf the SPF support that Postfix supposedly already ships with?

Or is it something else?

Jason

Re: postfix docs re "SPF Support"?

Noel Jones-2
On 4/6/2016 11:31 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Since pypolicyd-spf has been causing me lots of problems (upstream is helping on it at launchpad), I decided to look for a more reliable alternative just in case.
>
> The Postfix Add-Ons page (http://www.postfix.org/addon.html) says
>
> Note: Postfix already ships with SPF support, in the form of a plug-in policy daemon. This is the preferred integration model, at least until SPF is mandated by standards.
> IS pypolicyd-spf the SPF support that Postfix supposedly already ships with?
>
> Or is it something else?

A third-party policy daemon or milter is required for SPF.  Postfix
ships with support for these external third-party programs.

Postfix does not include nor officially recommend any particular
add-on SPF policy or milter.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
> A third-party policy daemon or milter is required for SPF.  Postfix
> ships with support for these external third-party programs.
>
> Postfix does not include nor officially recommend any particular
> add-on SPF policy or milter.

If that's true, that language should be included in the docs.  Would make life easier. Thanks.

Also, at least making mention of the openspf & policyd-spf on the ADD-ONS page would be good.

Re: postfix docs re "SPF Support"?

Erwan David
Le 06/04/2016 19:24, [hidden email] a écrit :

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
>> A third-party policy daemon or milter is required for SPF.  Postfix
>> ships with support for these external third-party programs.
>>
>> Postfix does not include nor officially recommend any particular
>> add-on SPF policy or milter.
> If that's true, that language should be included in the docs.  Would make life easier. Thanks.
>
> Also, at least making mention of the openspf & policyd-spf on the ADD-ONS page would be good.

Protocol is described in the docs

Re: postfix docs re "SPF Support"?

Scott Kitterman-4
On Wednesday, April 06, 2016 09:31:24 AM [hidden email] wrote:

> Since pypolicyd-spf has been causing me lots of problems (upstream is
> helping on it at launchpad), I decided to look for a more reliable
> alternative just in case.
>
> The Postfix Add-Ons page (http://www.postfix.org/addon.html) says
>
> Note: Postfix already ships with SPF support, in the form of a plug-in
> policy daemon. This is the preferred integration model, at least until SPF
> is mandated by standards.
>
> Looking for that at
>
> Postfix feature overview
> http://www.postfix.org/features.html
>
> Main features
> Junk mail control
> Postfix 2.1 SPF plug-in
>
> Which takes you to
>
> http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html
>
> where the only mention of SPF is
>
> Another example of policy delegation is the SPF policy server at
> http://www.openspf.org/Software.
>
> Visiting
>
> http://www.openspf.org/Software
>
> re-points to
>
> This package has moved to https://launchpad.net/pypolicyd-spf/
>
> which is obviously ADD-ON software.
>
> Unless I missed it, neither openspf nor pypolicyd is even mentioned at
> http://www.postfix.org/addon.html.
>
> This is a pretty confusing runaround through the docs :-(
>
> IS pypolicyd-spf the SPF support that Postfix supposedly already ships with?
>
> Or is it something else?

It's complicated.

Back in 2004/5 when SPF was first being developed, there were third party
patches to postfix developed for SPF.  The policy interface as introduced in
postfix2.1 to allow, among other things, SPF checks to be done without patching
postfix.  At that time, the postfix source included a sample policy server
(written in perl) to do that along with some others to do other things like
greylisting.

Somewhat later, I improved the sample and rather than periodically updating
the version postfix was shipping, the pointer to
http://www.openspf.org/Software was added in it's place and for many years the
source was hosted there.  Later I wanted things like a bug tracker and a
modern version control system so I moved it to https://launchpad.net/postfix-policyd-spf-perl (the python implementation was never shipped with postfix - I
started it because what I wanted to do with an SPF policy server  far
outstripped my limited Perl skills).

Postfix, today, ships an interface that allows SPF checking.  You can also, as
someone else mentioned, use milters (the milter interface wasn't introduced
until postfix 2.3).  It doesn't directly ship the plug in needed to do the
check.  pypolicyd-spf is a more advanced descendant of the one that postfix did
used to ship.  There are many others.

The most important thing is that people shouldn't be trying to use direct
patches to postfix that are over a decade old, designed for postfix about a
dozen releases ago, and don't even support the experimental RFC (RFC 4408)
version of SPF, let alone the standards track RFC (RFC 7208).  People still do
though and they should stop.

Scott K