postfix logging reduction required

Eddie b
Folks,
Is there a way to disable the logging of the  connect from/disconnect
and  anvil statistics lines, on our busy servers the logs are some 40%
larger then when we used sendmail, This is a problem we need to
address because of the large sizes , surely we can disable these
without rolling the logs twice a day?

It seems there is no general log level, postconf only offers lmtp_tls
and smtpd_tls both are default "0", we are not using tls so thats
fine.
We have nothing in debug_peer_list

Thanks

Re: postfix logging reduction required

Wietse Venema
Eddie b:
> Folks,
> Is there a way to disable the logging of the  connect from/disconnect
> and  anvil statistics lines, on our busy servers the logs are some 40%
> larger then when we used sendmail, This is a problem we need to
> address because of the large sizes , surely we can disable these
> without rolling the logs twice a day?

Anvil logs once every 10 minutes, so its contribution is negligible.
If its contribution isn't negligible, then you are not handling
enough mail to worry about the logfile size.

With Postfix, multiple processes hand off an email message to each
other in succession.  If any of these processes were to handle mail
silently, then it would be impossible to find out why someone's
mail has disappeared.

> It seems there is no general log level, postconf only offers lmtp_tls
> and smtpd_tls both are default "0", we are not using tls so thats
> fine.
> We have nothing in debug_peer_list

The default minimum logging level allows you to find out why
someone's mail has disappeared. You can only increase it (with -v
options or with debug_peer_list), that is why it is a minimum.

I recommend that you rotate (and compress) logfiles on a regular
basis. Mail logging compresses very well.

        Wietse