postfix option to bounce permanatly

Ashay Chitnis
Hi all,

Does any one knows of an option where postfix can bounce a mail when

1. a MX is not found
2. the DNS records are unavaible for the recipient domain.

The problem is when sending legitimate mass mails. The MX not found mails and spelling mistaken mails go into the queue and keep trying later. I want them to bounce with a permenant 5XX error.

regards,
Ashay.

ABUSE: Re: postfix option to bounce permanatly

/dev/rob0
[original was posted to postfix-users mailing list]
On Wed May 21 2008 03:27:59
  "Ashay Chitnis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does any one knows of an option where postfix can bounce a mail when
>
> 1. a MX is not found
> 2. the DNS records are unavaible for the recipient domain.
>
> The problem is when sending legitimate mass mails. The MX not found
> mails and spelling mistaken mails go into the queue and keep trying
> later. I want them to bounce with a permenant 5XX error.

I'm sorry, but "legitimate mass mails" means:
        1. The recipient domains ALL existed and accepted mail at the
           time of confirmation of the address.
        2. There was no possibility of a spelling mistake in the list,
           because the confirmation went to the misspelled address.

If your list contains such addresses you are not a legitimate mass
mailer. We (tinw) have a word for it: you are a spammer. Yes, domains
expire and some confirmed addresses eventually become invalid. A
legitimate mass mailer would be removing those addresses (disabling
list delivery) after the first bounce.

Postfix is a legitimate MTA for people who need reliable email.
Spammers would be better off using else. And of course we (tinw) ALL
would be better off if you'd just grow a conscience and stop it.

Your "spam is that which we do not do" and "opt-out" excuses are not
relevant to this list. If you want to follow up with me, you may do so
on the SPAM-L mailing list, see http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/ .
I do not expect that you will get much help here in your quest to bend
Postfix to suit your needs.

Re: postfix option to bounce permanatly

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Ashay Chitnis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does any one knows of an option where postfix can bounce a mail when
>
> 1. a MX is not found
> 2. the DNS records are unavaible for the recipient domain.
>
> The problem is when sending legitimate mass mails. The MX not found
> mails and spelling mistaken mails go into the queue and keep trying
> later. I want them to bounce with a permenant 5XX error.
This is an answer but READ the catches below.
You can do this with a smtpd_recipient_restrictions of
reject_unknown_recipient_domain and unknown_address_reject_code=550

However, be aware that temporary DNS issues are the reason they are kept
in the queue.
Would you want to bounce all mail when your ISP/caching DNS server is
unavailable?
Would you want to bounce mail for a host that is moving DNS records and
the TTL is lagging or ahead of a switchover?

Tread very carefully or you will reject a lot more mail than you intend.
This is not a recommended solution in practice.

The real way to handle this is to monitor the queue after a mass mailing
as such and periodic cleansing of your list database for common errors

Brian

Ashay Chitnis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does any one knows of an option where postfix can bounce a mail when
>
> 1. a MX is not found
> 2. the DNS records are unavaible for the recipient domain.
>
> The problem is when sending legitimate mass mails. The MX not found mails
> and spelling mistaken mails go into the queue and keep trying later. I want
> them to bounce with a permenant 5XX error.

you can't hope to get help on mass mail without providing enough
context. People here won't help a spammer (yes, even a "honest" one).

Assuming that you have a registration process, then do the checks at
registration time. DNS calls are available in perl, python, ruby, java,
asp, ... etc.

Re: postfix option to bounce permanatly

Stefan Förster-4
* Brian Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ashay Chitnis wrote:
>> Does any one knows of an option where postfix can bounce a mail when
>>
>> 1. a MX is not found
>> 2. the DNS records are unavaible for the recipient domain.
>>
>> The problem is when sending legitimate mass mails. The MX not found
>> mails and spelling mistaken mails go into the queue and keep trying
>> later. I want them to bounce with a permenant 5XX error.
> This is an answer but READ the catches below.
> You can do this with a smtpd_recipient_restrictions of
> reject_unknown_recipient_domain and unknown_address_reject_code=550
>
> However, be aware that temporary DNS issues are the reason they are kept
> in the queue.
> Would you want to bounce all mail when your ISP/caching DNS server is
> unavailable?
> Would you want to bounce mail for a host that is moving DNS records and
> the TTL is lagging or ahead of a switchover?

The  response  is  always 450 in case of a temporary DNS error.

Ciao
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9
Wissen stimmt melancholisch. - Ob Geist nicht mehr tötet als lebendig macht?