postfix performance

Mark2-3
All,

What do I need to do in order to have better performance on Postfix.
I have Centos5 with postfix installed. The mail server is only as a relay mail server and has nothing else.

I just make the test and the performance was not good. Outgoing 1K email was around 568 seconds.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

Re: postfix performance

Barney Desmond
2009/8/18 Evan Platt <[hidden email]>:

> At 10:30 AM 8/17/2009, you wrote:
>> I just make the test and the performance was not good. Outgoing 1K email
>> was around 568 seconds.
>>
>> Any insight is appreciated.
>
> Although this will likely be out of my area of being able to help you,
> someone else here probably can, but you'll want to post relevent logs and
> postconf -n output.
>
> But 568 secoonds, my guess is there's something configured MAJORLY wrong.

Indeed, we need `postconf -n` to spot any glaring config errors, and
log entries to see the problem actually happening. A description of
how you send this mailout would also be good. Obviously we don't want
a full log for all 1000 messages, but a representative sample would be
good. As a minimum, we should be able to track at least a few messages
from start to finish.

Re: postfix performance

Mark2-3
Here is the postconf -n

[root@mail postfix]# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
disable_vrfy_command = yes
hopcount_limit = 500
html_directory = no
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
maximal_queue_lifetime = 5h
notify_classes = donotreply
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
setgid_group = postdrop
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

Thanks.

> >> I just make the test and the performance was not
> good. Outgoing 1K email
> >> was around 568 seconds.
> >>
> >> Any insight is appreciated.
> >
> > Although this will likely be out of my area of being
> able to help you,
> > someone else here probably can, but you'll want to
> post relevent logs and
> > postconf -n output.
> >
> > But 568 secoonds, my guess is there's something
> configured MAJORLY wrong.
>
> Indeed, we need `postconf -n` to spot any glaring config
> errors, and
> log entries to see the problem actually happening. A
> description of
> how you send this mailout would also be good. Obviously we
> don't want
> a full log for all 1000 messages, but a representative
> sample would be
> good. As a minimum, we should be able to track at least a
> few messages
> from start to finish.

Re: postfix performance

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Mark Johnson wrote:
> Here is the postconf -n
>
> [root@mail postfix]# postconf -n

This seems fine, mostly using defaults.

Can you please provide a non-verbose, log of a mail transaction you feel
is affected?
Barney had mentioned this too and it is quite important.

Do you have a DNS caching server locally?

Re: postfix performance

Brian Evans - Postfix List
I spoke too soon....

Mark Johnson wrote:
> hopcount_limit = 500

This seems a bit unreasonable due to this exists to stop mail loops and
overload.
The default of 50 works in many, many situations.
> maximal_queue_lifetime = 5h

Why so short?
This can generate many, many bounces due to transient errors (connection
loss, DNS failure, etc).
> notify_classes = donotreply

notify_classes does not seem to have a donotreply documented.
If you wish to unset it, do "notify_classes="

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#notify_classes