postfix relay - command line not working

postfix relay - command line not working

gc-9
ok so I am trying out this relay to another server via :

but when I enter the first line of code: postconf -e 'relayhost = smtp.example.com'
the return I get, not a new line, but:
bash: postconf: command not found

am i in the right place? currently at [root@ip-xx-xx-xxx-xxx userid]

? thanks

Gerry

Re: postfix relay - command line not working

Eero Volotinen-2
gc kirjoitti:

> ok so I am trying out this relay to another server via :
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver
>
> but when I enter the first line of code: postconf -e 'relayhost =
> smtp.example.com'
> the return I get, not a new line, but:
> bash: postconf: command not found
>
> am i in the right place? currently at [root@ip-xx-xx-xxx-xxx userid]

Err.. your system is missing postfix (or the postconf), possibly it is
not installed or yout PATH is wrong.

Eero

Re: postfix relay - command line not working

Paul Beard-2

On Oct 2, 2009, at 8:32 PM, "gc" <[hidden email]> wrote:

ok so I am trying out this relay to another server via :

but when I enter the first line of code: postconf -e 'relayhost = smtp.example.com'
the return I get, not a new line, but:
bash: postconf: command not found

am i in the right place? currently at [root@ip-xx-xx-xxx-xxx userid]

? thanks

Gerry

This is getting a bit off-topic as regards  postfix, being more to do with shell commands and sysadmin skills.

That result means your command shell doesn't know where postconf is. Try: 'locate postconf' to find it. Then edit your PATH appropriately.

If you have a queue of mail you want to preserve, it might make sense to archive that and arrange for your hosting provider to hold on to it. If you are moving to a reprovisioned system, they could put it there. I don't know if putting it in place and starting up postfix would cause it all to be (re) sent or not.

If this was a real .signature it would be more interesting

Re: postfix relay - command line not working

gc-9
Paul,

"This is getting a bit off-topic as regards  postfix, being more to do with shell commands and sysadmin skills. "

Almost, couple more days and I'll be done with it, lol

"That result means your command shell doesn't know where postconf is. Try: 'locate postconf' to find it. Then edit your PATH appropriately.  "

it says: locate: can not open '/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db' : no such file or directory

hmm, looks like I just may be toast afterall....

Gerry

If this was a real .signature it would be more interesting

RE: postfix relay - command line not working

Terry Gilsenan

Paul,

"This is getting a bit off-topic as regards  postfix, being more to do with shell commands and sysadmin skills. "

Almost, couple more days and I'll be done with it, lol

"That result means your command shell doesn't know where postconf is. Try: 'locate postconf' to find it. Then edit your PATH appropriately.  "

it says: locate: can not open '/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db' : no such file or directory

hmm, looks like I just may be toast afterall....

Could be, however try this..

find . -name postconf -print

If this was a real .signature it would be more interesting

postfix relay - command line not working

Stan Hoeppner
gc put forth on 10/2/2009 10:32 PM:

> ok so I am trying out this relay to another server via :
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver
>
> but when I enter the first line of code: postconf -e 'relayhost =
> smtp.example.com'
> the return I get, not a new line, but:
> bash: postconf: command not found
>
> am i in the right place? currently at [root@ip-xx-xx-xxx-xxx userid]

So, did they reprovision your server?  Were you able to get the queued
mail off of it beforehand?

Stan

Re: postfix relay - command line not working

gc-9
no they didnt do it, I have to push the button, and not doing so until I can
at least save or back up the queue, when I figure out how to do that...lol

On Oct 3, 2009, at 7:58 AM, "gc" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> no they didnt do it, I have to push the button, and not doing so
> until I can at least save or back up the queue, when I figure out
> how to do that

I think it would be far simpler to just tar up the spool directory and
preserve that, maybe resubmit it all on the new box (that postsuper
command looked interesting and possibly apropos).

--
If this was a real .signature it would be more interesting.