postfix stops sending mail after sometime

postfix stops sending mail after sometime

gaurav.parashar
Hii,
I had installed postfix in Ubuntu 16.04 and it was working seamlessly. Some
time back I upgraded it to Ubuntu 18.04 and suddenly emails stop coming to
my inbox. It gave me this error:
postfix/postdrop[27466]: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file
maildrop/675261.27466: Permission denied
I restarted it nothing happens.
I reinstalled it many times, but after few hours the emails stop coming and
error creeps in.
Can anyone help in solving this issue.

Regards

Re: postfix stops sending mail after sometime

Wietse Venema
gaurav.parashar:
> Hii,
> I had installed postfix in Ubuntu 16.04 and it was working seamlessly. Some
> time back I upgraded it to Ubuntu 18.04 and suddenly emails stop coming to
> my inbox. It gave me this error:
> postfix/postdrop[27466]: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file
> maildrop/675261.27466: Permission denied

Somoene messed up file permissions, or someone decided
to break setgid programs.

Run "postfix set-permissions" to correct (except on Debian-like
systems, they broke it so there may be some errors).

> I restarted it nothing happens.
> I reinstalled it many times, but after few hours the emails stop coming and
> error creeps in.

Then you need to find out what keeps changing the Postfix
file permissions.

Re: postfix stops sending mail after sometime

Scott Kitterman-4
On Saturday, October 20, 2018 08:52:23 PM Wietse Venema wrote:

> gaurav.parashar:
> > Hii,
> > I had installed postfix in Ubuntu 16.04 and it was working seamlessly.
> > Some
> > time back I upgraded it to Ubuntu 18.04 and suddenly emails stop coming to
> > my inbox. It gave me this error:
> > postfix/postdrop[27466]: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file
> > maildrop/675261.27466: Permission denied
>
> Somoene messed up file permissions, or someone decided
> to break setgid programs.
>
> Run "postfix set-permissions" to correct (except on Debian-like
> systems, they broke it so there may be some errors).

It runs without error on current Debian Unstable (I did make some fixes to the
Debian packaging to try and avoid this problem).  I don't recall if Ubuntu
18.04 has the fixed version or not, but as older Debian (and derivative)
releases age out, this should be a declining problem over time.

Scott K

> > I restarted it nothing happens.
> > I reinstalled it many times, but after few hours the emails stop coming
> > and
> > error creeps in.
>
> Then you need to find out what keeps changing the Postfix
> file permissions.
>
> Wietse

Re: postfix stops sending mail after sometime

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 20.10.18 20:52, Wietse Venema wrote:
>Somoene messed up file permissions, or someone decided
>to break setgid programs.
>
>Run "postfix set-permissions" to correct (except on Debian-like
>systems, they broke it so there may be some errors).

ubuntu is debian-linke system.
However I haven't encountered problem like this on debian, and I would not
expect problem like this there.

>> I restarted it nothing happens.
>> I reinstalled it many times, but after few hours the emails stop coming and
>> error creeps in.
>
>Then you need to find out what keeps changing the Postfix
>file permissions.

maybe a "customdeb" package?

 customdeb will modify binary Debian packages based on
 information given in a simple file. It can
   * Add or replace files
   * Change permissions of files
 It can be used to distribute packages with local changes
 (configuration, fixes) locally, and is not meant to create
 packages for the official Debian archive.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

On 21.10.18 14:29, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>ubuntu is debian-linke system.
debian-like, of course :)

>However I haven't encountered problem like this on debian, and I would not
>expect problem like this there.

here are permissions from my debian system:

-r-xr-sr-x 1 root postdrop 14328 Apr 29  2017 /usr/sbin/postdrop
drwx-wx--T 2 postfix postdrop 4096 Oct 18 12:19 /var/spool/postfix/maildrop/

>>Then you need to find out what keeps changing the Postfix
>>file permissions.
>
>maybe a "customdeb" package?
>
>customdeb will modify binary Debian packages based on
>information given in a simple file. It can
>  * Add or replace files
>  * Change permissions of files
>It can be used to distribute packages with local changes
>(configuration, fixes) locally, and is not meant to create
>packages for the official Debian archive.

Re: postfix stops sending mail after sometime

B. Reino
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018, Wietse Venema wrote:

> gaurav.parashar:
>> Hii,
>> I had installed postfix in Ubuntu 16.04 and it was working seamlessly. Some
>> time back I upgraded it to Ubuntu 18.04 and suddenly emails stop coming to
>> my inbox. It gave me this error:
>> postfix/postdrop[27466]: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file
>> maildrop/675261.27466: Permission denied
>
> Somoene messed up file permissions, or someone decided
> to break setgid programs.

It might be unrelated but in the dovecot debian package the
systemd service file includes (included?) the option
"NoNewPrivileges=false", which causes (caused..) many problems.

In my case, forwarding mails (via a sieve filter), didn't work because
dovecot/sieve could not use postdrop.

I don't know whether Ubuntu makes use of this option in either dovecot,
postfix, or both, but it may be worth checking..

Cheers,

Bernardo.

Re: postfix stops sending mail after sometime

Dominic Raferd

I don't see this setting in Ubuntu 18.04's /lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service. (It has ProtectSystem=full, which doesn't cause me any problems.)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Dominic Raferd wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 09:06, B. Reino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2018, Wietse Venema wrote:
>>
>>> gaurav.parashar:
>> Some
>>>
>>> Somoene messed up file permissions, or someone decided
>>> to break setgid programs.
>>
>> It might be unrelated but in the dovecot debian package the
>> systemd service file includes (included?) the option
>> "NoNewPrivileges=false", which causes (caused..) many problems.
>>
>> In my case, forwarding mails (via a sieve filter), didn't work because
>> dovecot/sieve could not use postdrop.
>>
>> I don't know whether Ubuntu makes use of this option in either dovecot,
>> postfix, or both, but it may be worth checking..
>>

> I don't see this setting in Ubuntu 18.04's
> /lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service. (It has ProtectSystem=full, which
> doesn't cause me any problems.)

Good to know :)

BTW note that the "wrong" setting is NoNewPrivileges=true. I got it
backwards in the previous e-mail (because I copied what I have...)