postfix strip æøå (highbit chars)

12

postfix strip æøå (highbit chars)

Benny Pedersen

i like to have postfix strip these chars in headers so amavisd does not block the mails with bad header, well maybe it kill dkim :/

but is there better options ?

reject and let senders solve it ?

xpoint

Re: postfix strip æøå (highbit chars)

Noel Jones-2
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> i like to have postfix strip these chars in headers so amavisd does not block the mails with bad header, well maybe it kill dkim :/
>
> but is there better options ?
>
> reject and let senders solve it ?

The better option is to configure amavisd-new to accept bad
headers.  I'm pretty sure amavisd-new accepts bad headers by
default, but here are some settings you can look for.
# amavisd.conf
$final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;
@bypass_header_checks_maps = (1);

You could configure postfix to reject such mail, but then
you'll lose otherwise legit mail.

On Wed, July 22, 2009 17:50, Noel Jones wrote:

> Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> i like to have postfix strip these chars in headers so amavisd does not block the mails with bad header, well maybe it kill dkim
>> :/
>>
>> but is there better options ?
>>
>> reject and let senders solve it ?
>>

> The better option is to configure amavisd-new to accept bad
> headers.

if sender do this, it wont catch there problem

> I'm pretty sure amavisd-new accepts bad headers by
> default, but here are some settings you can look for.

yes, maybe

> # amavisd.conf
> $final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;
> @bypass_header_checks_maps = (1);

if i do this my amavisd wont catch my own problem at remote when some send mail from my server to another server, chicken and egg
problem to solve

> You could configure postfix to reject such mail, but then
> you'll lose otherwise legit mail.

yes legit problem also

if all accepts, then its no problem :/

xpoint

Re: postfix strip æøå (highbit chars)

Stefan Foerster-2
* Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, July 22, 2009 17:50, Noel Jones wrote:
>> You could configure postfix to reject such mail, but then
>> you'll lose otherwise legit mail.
>
> yes legit problem also

This is probably a stupid question, but are those characters really
allowed in email headers?

Ciao
Stefan
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9
I'm not evil, I'm ... differently motivated!

On Wed, July 22, 2009 21:27, Stefan Förster wrote:
> * Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, July 22, 2009 17:50, Noel Jones wrote:
>>> You could configure postfix to reject such mail, but then
>>> you'll lose otherwise legit mail.
>> yes legit problem also
> This is probably a stupid question, but are those characters really
> allowed in email headers?

rfc strictly no, header need to be 7bit clean, but default postfix accept 8bit

xpoint

Stefan Förster wrote:
> * Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, July 22, 2009 17:50, Noel Jones wrote:
>>> You could configure postfix to reject such mail, but then
>>> you'll lose otherwise legit mail.
>> yes legit problem also
>
> This is probably a stupid question, but are those characters really
> allowed in email headers?

No, raw 8 bit characters are not allowed in headers.  They
must be encoded such as they are in this message.
Subject: Re: postfix strip =?utf-8?B?w6bDuA==?=
        =?utf-8?B?w6U=?= (highbit chars)

Most MUA's take care of encoding the headers automatically,
but it's a common enough problem that blocking mail with 8 bit
characters in the header is not recommended.

At any rate, unless 8 bit characters in headers are causing
some specific problem, it's not worth blocking them.

On Wed, July 22, 2009 21:41, Noel Jones wrote:

> At any rate, unless 8 bit characters in headers are causing
> some specific problem, it's not worth blocking them.

back to my first question on how to

xpoint

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#strict_7bit_headers

On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:00, Noel Jones wrote:
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#strict_7bit_headers

if postfix changed defaults to yes, then i belive problematic senders would change there problem

php mail() is imho not mime compliant

xpoint

Re: postfix strip æøå (highbit chars)

Sahil Tandon
On Jul 22, 2009, at 4:06 PM, "Benny Pedersen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:00, Noel Jones wrote:
>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#strict_7bit_headers
>
> if postfix changed defaults to yes, then i belive problematic
> senders would change there problem

Oh please.  The functionality exists for you to be strict on this.  By
all means, go for it.  The rest of us still care about ensuring
delivery of legitimate mail, however 'broken' it might appear to you. :)

Re: postfix strip ??? (highbit chars)

Wietse Venema
Sahil Tandon:

> On Jul 22, 2009, at 4:06 PM, "Benny Pedersen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:00, Noel Jones wrote:
> >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#strict_7bit_headers
> >
> > if postfix changed defaults to yes, then i belive problematic
> > senders would change there problem
>
> Oh please.  The functionality exists for you to be strict on this.  By
> all means, go for it.  The rest of us still care about ensuring
> delivery of legitimate mail, however 'broken' it might appear to you. :)

I agree. The primary goal is good mail delivery performance.

On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:12, Sahil Tandon wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2009, at 4:06 PM, "Benny Pedersen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:00, Noel Jones wrote:
>>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#strict_7bit_headers
>>
>> if postfix changed defaults to yes, then i belive problematic
>> senders would change there problem
>
> Oh please.  The functionality exists for you to be strict on this.  By
> all means, go for it.  The rest of us still care about ensuring
> delivery of legitimate mail, however 'broken' it might appear to you. :)

its all the same when uribl.com is down and cant handle one more domain ?, block localy it will solve all your problem too

xpoint

On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:18, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Sahil Tandon:
>> > if postfix changed defaults to yes, then i belive problematic
>> > senders would change there problem
>> Oh please.  The functionality exists for you to be strict on this.  By
>> all means, go for it.  The rest of us still care about ensuring
>> delivery of legitimate mail, however 'broken' it might appear to you. :)
> I agree. The primary goal is good mail delivery performance.

what about rfc then ?

xpoint

Benny Pedersen wrote:

> On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:18, Wietse Venema wrote:
>> Sahil Tandon:
>>> Oh please.  The functionality exists for you to be strict on this.  By
>>> all means, go for it.  The rest of us still care about ensuring
>>> delivery of legitimate mail, however 'broken' it might appear to you. :)
>> I agree. The primary goal is good mail delivery performance.
>
> what about rfc then ?

"be strict in what you send, liberal in what you accept"

There's too much bad prior art to expect everyone to be RFC
compliant.  And pretty much every other MTA accepts 8 bit
headers by default; sometimes you have to go with the crowd.

You're welcome to be as strict as you want on your own site.

I think we've covered this subject as much as it deserves.

On Wed, July 22, 2009 23:14, Noel Jones wrote:

> "be strict in what you send, liberal in what you accept"

ok

i try

postconf -e 'message_strip_charters = \346'

still amavisd give this

Non-encoded 8-bit data (char E6 hex): Subject: \346

why does postfix not use my strip ?

--
xpoint

Benny Pedersen wrote:

> On Wed, July 22, 2009 23:14, Noel Jones wrote:
>
>> "be strict in what you send, liberal in what you accept"
>
> ok
>
> i try
>
> postconf -e 'message_strip_charters = \346'
>
> still amavisd give this
>
> Non-encoded 8-bit data (char E6 hex): Subject: \346
>
> why does postfix not use my strip ?

Did you run "postfix reload"?  Do you have postfix 2.3 or later?
Show evidence.  "postconf -n" output, contents of your
message, etc.

Re: postfix strip ??? (highbit chars)

d.hill

It would seem you have misspelled the word 'characters' within the parameter.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> On Wed, July 22, 2009 23:14, Noel Jones wrote:
>
> > "be strict in what you send, liberal in what you accept"
>
> ok
>
> i try
>
> postconf -e 'message_strip_charters = \346'

% postconf message_strip_charters
postconf: warning: message_strip_charters: unknown parameter

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

On Thu, July 23, 2009 01:00, Noel Jones wrote:
> Did you run "postfix reload"?

yes

> Do you have postfix 2.3 or later?

2.5.7

> Show evidence.  "postconf -n" output, contents of your
> message, etc.

do i really have to :/

xpoint

On Thu, July 23, 2009 01:04, [hidden email] wrote:

> It would seem you have misspelled the word 'characters' within the parameter.

my bad here, but my main.cf have not that spelling fail, i verified it

--
xpoint

12