postmap db

richard lucassen
Hello list,

When e.g. I have an access file with:

domain.tld   reject
baduser@     reject

Postfix will reject "[hidden email]" and "[hidden email]".

When I want to test these db's using "postmap -q", postmap only tests
the "real" entries in the database. Is there a *simple CLI* way to test
the db like Postfix does? I mean a simpler tool than "swaks" that I use
now to test the db's.

R.

richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/

Re: postmap db

/dev/rob0
On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:20:09PM +0100, richard lucassen wrote:

> When e.g. I have an access file with:
>
> domain.tld   reject
> baduser@     reject
>
> Postfix will reject "[hidden email]" and
> "[hidden email]".
>
> When I want to test these db's using "postmap -q", postmap only
> tests the "real" entries in the database. Is there a *simple CLI*
> way to test the db like Postfix does? I mean a simpler tool than
> "swaks" that I use now to test the db's.

You did not mention how your access file was being used.  Apparently
it's being used for email address lookups, so perhaps
check_sender_access or check_recipient_access.  Any supercharged
postmap tool would have to know this also.  That's probably why
postmap -q is so literal, because that way it does not have to know
configuration details.

Note also that parent_domain_matches_subdomains settings affect this
as well.  It would not be trivial to build a diagnostic tool which
handles check_mumble_access lookups exactly as Postfix does.

No, I am not aware of such a tool.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: postmap db

richard lucassen
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:49:23 -0600
/dev/rob0 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You did not mention how your access file was being used.  Apparently
> it's being used for email address lookups, so perhaps
> check_sender_access or check_recipient_access.  Any supercharged
> postmap tool would have to know this also.  That's probably why
> postmap -q is so literal, because that way it does not have to know
> configuration details.

That's why I was asking if such a tool already exists ;-)

> Note also that parent_domain_matches_subdomains settings affect this
> as well.  It would not be trivial to build a diagnostic tool which
> handles check_mumble_access lookups exactly as Postfix does.
>
> No, I am not aware of such a tool.

Ok, thnx, I'll keep using swaks then (Swiss Army Knife for SMTP). But
you'll have to be aware of the postfix cache.

R.

richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/

Re: postmap db

richard lucassen:

> Hello list,
>
> When e.g. I have an access file with:
>
> domain.tld   reject
> baduser@     reject
>
> Postfix will reject "[hidden email]" and "[hidden email]".
>
> When I want to test these db's using "postmap -q", postmap only tests
> the "real" entries in the database. Is there a *simple CLI* way to test
> the db like Postfix does? I mean a simpler tool than "swaks" that I use
> now to test the db's.

These partial lookups are not yet configurable, but most of the
internal support for that was implemented with Postfix 3.2. Now
the work needs to be finished (I think alias_maps still needs work)
and then it can be exposed via main.cf and via postmap command line.

        Wietse