postmulti: fatal: No matching instances

Laura Smith
Hi,

I'm on Postfix 3.4.10 and the following is driving me nuts:

$ postmulti -g mta -p status
postfix-authrelay/postfix-script: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 28832
postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 30572

$ sudo postmulti -i postfix-authrelay -p reload
postmulti: fatal: No matching instances

$ sudo postmulti -i postfix-inetgen -p reload
postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system

$ sudo postmulti -g mta -p reload
postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system

Am I missing somemthing stupidly obvious in my command syntax ?!?

Laura

Re: postmulti: fatal: No matching instances

Wietse Venema
Laura Smith:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on Postfix 3.4.10 and the following is driving me nuts:
>
> $ postmulti -g mta -p status
> postfix-authrelay/postfix-script: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 28832
> postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 30572

You're running some commands with sudo and some without. Because
of that, environment variables and command aliases may differ.

In particular:

PATH determines where the postmulti command is found.

MAIL_CONFIG determines what main.cf file it will use.

and so on.

        Wietse

> $ sudo postmulti -i postfix-authrelay -p reload
> postmulti: fatal: No matching instances
>
> $ sudo postmulti -i postfix-inetgen -p reload
> postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
>
> $ sudo postmulti -g mta -p reload
> postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
>
> Am I missing somemthing stupidly obvious in my command syntax ?!?
>
> Laura

Re: postmulti: fatal: No matching instances

Laura Smith
Actually, I've been running them all with sudo, just when posting to the list I accidentally omitted it when I was copy/pasting.

On Friday, 22 May 2020 17:01, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Laura Smith:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm on Postfix 3.4.10 and the following is driving me nuts:
> > $ postmulti -g mta -p status
> > postfix-authrelay/postfix-script: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 28832
> > postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 30572
>
> You're running some commands with sudo and some without. Because
> of that, environment variables and command aliases may differ.
>
> In particular:
>
> PATH determines where the postmulti command is found.
>
> MAIL_CONFIG determines what main.cf file it will use.
>
> and so on.
>
> Wietse
>
> > $ sudo postmulti -i postfix-authrelay -p reload
> > postmulti: fatal: No matching instances
> > $ sudo postmulti -i postfix-inetgen -p reload
> > postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
> > $ sudo postmulti -g mta -p reload
> > postfix-inetgen/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
> > Am I missing somemthing stupidly obvious in my command syntax ?!?
> > Laura

Re: postmulti: fatal: No matching instances

Wietse Venema
Laura Smith:
> I'm on Postfix 3.4.10 and the following is driving me nuts:

Wietse:

> > You're running some commands with sudo and some without. Because
> > of that, environment variables and command aliases may differ.
> >
> > In particular:
> >
> > PATH determines where the postmulti command is found.
> >
> > MAIL_CONFIG determines what main.cf file it will use.
> >
> > and so on.

Laura Smith:
> Actually, I've been running them all with sudo, just when posting
> to the list I accidentally omitted it when I was copy/pasting.

Check the multi_instance name setting in the main.cf file of the
affected instance.

Was this instance created from scratch with postmulti, or was this
imported as an already existing instance?

I do not recall why the instance name is needed, that was designed
in 2009.

Re: postmulti: fatal: No matching instances

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema:

> Laura Smith:
> > I'm on Postfix 3.4.10 and the following is driving me nuts:
>
> Wietse:
> > > You're running some commands with sudo and some without. Because
> > > of that, environment variables and command aliases may differ.
> > >
> > > In particular:
> > >
> > > PATH determines where the postmulti command is found.
> > >
> > > MAIL_CONFIG determines what main.cf file it will use.
> > >
> > > and so on.
>
> Laura Smith:
> > Actually, I've been running them all with sudo, just when posting
> > to the list I accidentally omitted it when I was copy/pasting.
>
> Check the multi_instance name setting in the main.cf file of the
> affected instance.

That should be the 'multi_instance_name' setting.

> Was this instance created from scratch with postmulti, or was this
> imported as an already existing instance?
>
> I do not recall why the instance name is needed, that was designed
> in 2009.
>
> Wietse

Re: postmulti: fatal: No matching instances

Laura Smith

> Check the multi_instance name setting in themain.cf file of the
> affected instance.
>
> Was this instance created from scratch with postmulti, or was this
> imported as an already existing instance?
>
> I do not recall why the instance name is needed, that was designed
> in 2009.
>
> Wietse

You pointed me in the right direction.

"multi_instance_enable = yes" was missing.... well, it wasn't missing, it was there but then the config management tool was reinstating a version that didn't have that line !

Oops !  ;-0